Firefox extensions - Automatic installation

Hi,

Is it possible to install the firefox extensions of Zotero directly ?
I find a way copying the xpi in C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\distribution\extensions but it doesn't work.
Does somebody can help me ?

Best Regards,

Gael DELCROIX
  • edited July 8, 2022
    What do you mean by "automatic installation"? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
  • Maybe the question I sometimes ask myself : why do we have to download and install ourselves the extension for the browser while Zotero installs itself the extensions for (Libre)Office? Could it be all done by Zotero?
  • edited July 9, 2022
    No, programs can't sideload extensions in major browsers anymore for security reasons (and haven't been able to for years).

But it's basically a single click from the first-run page (or later from Tools → Install Browser Connector), so this is hardly a big deal.
  • Yes it's not a big deal for users.
    But i want to install it automatically with our deployment of zotero.
    If our users don't have the extension in firefox, they will call us, even it's easy to install it.
    Does somebody know if it's possible to install the firefox plugin without action of users ?
  • edited July 11, 2022
    That's a question for Mozilla. It may still be possible to install Firefox extensions using an enterprise policy. This wouldn't have anything to do with Zotero specifically.
  • Hi,

I find the solution.

Download the last xpi from the zotero webpage. (Right click on "Install Firefox Connector" ► "Save link as ..."

Rename the xpi file like this : zotero@chnm.gmu.edu.xpi (it's the ID of the firefox extension)

Copy it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\distribution\extensions

Launch Firefox, the extension is automaticly installed.

Thanks to people who tried to help me.

Best regards.

Gaël DELCROIX