Some questions about the PDF viewer

So, to start off: I've not really made use of the in-built PDF viewer until now and WOW, that makes accessing saved articles a lot easier! It seems to load them quickly and runs so smoothly. I was wondering if the following options were available (e.g. if there's a setting I can change)?

1. An option to open PDFs in the background and/or set the behaviour as default (so that opening them doesn't take you to the new tab if you're scrolling through & opening several in a row)

2. Use ctrl+Z (or another shortcut) to undo annotations? (it looks like you have to click & delete new annotations manually? Though I'd understand if this conflicted with undoing actions in the library and isn't possible)

3. Have the search default to whichever input was used previously (say, I've got several PDFs open and want to search 'microscope' in each; currently, it seems I'd need to re-type (or ctrl+V) 'microscope' in each of tab, compared to a browser where a new ctrl+F will automatically populate the field with my last input)

4. Also, is there a way I can set a default for which action is taken upon double clicking (e.g. view in PDF, view online)? I imagine this might be a bit tricky (?) if items don't have an online or PDF format, though.

A couple of side-notes on glitches/bugs:

- There doesn't seem to be a tooltip for these two buttons (the others all have them, though) https://imgur.com/qLNTThB

- The text when reaching the final match ("Reached the [end/top] of the document, continued from [top/bottom]") doesn't wrap, and shifts the next/previous buttons so that you have to move the mouse to click them again https://imgur.com/a/noTmzaz

And a couple of things I love about the PDF viewer, by the way:

- Shift+enter brings me to the previous search result (something my ancient PDF editor doesn't let me do)

- It's very clean and easy to navigate

- Copying and pasting doesn't retain the line breaks that my (ancient) PDF editor does. It doesn't seem to retain any formatting (including spaces between paragraphs), but I'd rather add in e.g. the original italics myself if it means I don't have to manually remove the line breaks every time (or use a workaround).

-------------
I do have a non-PDF viewer question about something that's been bugging me. The ctrl+shift+A keyboard shortcut for copying citations does something weird — instead of copying in the Zotero client, it activates the shortcut in my Chrome browser? Even if I drag Zotero to a new desktop, it'll activate the shortcut in Chrome in the other desktop (in Chrome I've got it set so that ctrl+shift+A suspends a page using an extension), and nothing is copied to the clipboard. It works fine when Chrome is closed, though. Is this a Chrome issue, or a Zotero one (and can I change the keyboard shortcut in Zotero to something that doesn't conflict)?

Sorry for the mini essay! Thanks heaps in advance
  • (Best to start a new thread for the keyboard-shortcut question.)
  • edited July 6, 2022
    Oh, a quick 'by the way' — adding emoji in posts gives this error https://imgur.com/QTms3mB but it's quite delayed (I assume it shows up when the post is automatically saved as a draft), so it took me a while to figure out that the issue causing the error code was a result of the emoji & not e.g. a time-out/character length/etc, as someone who isn't super familiar with error codes). I'm so used to using them to convey tone that it took me a bit to realise it was an incompatibility issue (pretend there's a U+1F605 here to convey tone!)
  • "
    1. An option to open PDFs in the background and/or set the behaviour as default (so that opening them doesn't take you to the new tab if you're scrolling through & opening several in a row)

"

Strongly agree with this and hope this feature can be added.
  • Minor update: managed to rule out Zotero as the cause of the ctrl+shift+A issue — it's happening whenever I do it in Word/Excel/etc (as in, it causes Chrome's action for the shortcut), so it's looking like a Chrome thing!