Short titles doesn't always work?

I use Zotero 6.0.9 (Mac), set to SBL 2nd ed. However, short titles seem to be reflected in some references but not others. I opened up another document and looked at citations to the same works, and they reflect the shortened titles—but once I click "refresh", the same problem emerges. How can this be rectified?
  • edited June 30, 2022
    Just had a look at the style's source (title-short macro specifically).
    It will print the short title for "bill book graphic legal_case legislation motion_picture report song" (that's the CSL item types; names vary in Zotero).

What item type do you not get the short title? What do the guidelines say about it?

• @dstark -- I think we want short titles more generally in SBL, no?
  • Thanks for the replies. I've noticed that the short titles appear for subsequent citations of books, but not for journal articles and theses. However, short titles ought to be used for citations of all sources according to SBL requirements.

This seems to be a recent problem: when I checked older documents that I worked on earlier this week, the citations for articles and theses reflect the abbreviated titles. However, once I click "refresh", these citations get updated with the longer titles, and my word count jumps by a few 100 words...
  • In addition to journal articles and theses, short titles are also no longer working for book sections, blog posts, and conference papers (SBL 2nd ed. style). Presumably other types, too. Yes, short titles are needed generally. Thanks!
  • I just pushed out a fix for this, should automatically update for you shortly. Sorry for the trouble.
  • Thanks so much for fixing this so quickly! All is well now.
  • I'm having the same issue, JFJW. Today my Zotero automatically refreshed my document and turned the "Short Title" for journals and theses back into the "[Long] Title". I have had no luck on a fix for the problem - glad to know that I'm not the only one, though.
  • Thanks everyone for the messages, and thanks @adamsmith for fixing the issue. Order has been restored in my documents. :)

(@TylerHallstrom: hope the issue is resolved at your end soon.)
  • @adamsmith, sorry I was out of the office and am just now seeing this. But yes, SBL style does want short titles for everything (though there might be an odd exception I'm not thinking of at the moment). And thanks for remedying the error.

@JFJW, @nsheley, and @TylerHallstrom, my apologies for contributing to the momentary elongation of your titles. I must have missed that error in some of the recent editing for the style. But it should now also have improved support for citations of (1) lexicons; (2) dictionaries; (3) conference papers, and (4) DOIs, URLs, both, or neither for various source types.
  • Thank you so much! Everything has been working on my end now also - greatly appreciated!