Multiple bibliographies in one word document

Hello,

Is there a way to insert 2 bibliographies in the same word document? For example after each chapter the corresponding bibliography of that chapter. I read about this in another post from 2007 that is was not available yet but I wonder if this has already been implemented or not?
Thanks,

Cheers,
Filip
  • edited February 26, 2013
    No, this has not been implemented yet.
  • It seems like this wouldn't be too difficult as long as zotero could detect that it is in different section breaks or page breaks of a word document and then just start the numbering over...
  • Zotero is open source. If you think a problem is easy to solve, patches are gladly accepted.
    https://github.com/zotero
  • I am in the final edits of my thesis and was wondering if this has been patched...anyone know?
  • No, not yet implemented.
  • Hope to bring this back to attention of devs.

I would also greatly appreciate an implementation of what I think was done and discussed some time ago in a different threat. However, as my programming-skills are limited I doubt that trying figure out how to adjust zotero by myself is the correct thing to do for me while writing my thesis.

However, I think I have found a work-around that might help others, too.

The situation: I am working on a thesis comprised of several chapters which need their own bibliographies, and each of them starting from No. 1. Some of the references are used in several chapters (on different positions), other refs are used just once….

The work-around:
    1.) Do not bother that – while working on the document – you have just one bibliography (or multiple copies with the same content) including every citation managed by zotero!
    2-) Upon !Final finishing! of the document, use the “outline view” and convert every -but one- chapter into sub-documents.
    3.) Collapse the expanded sub-document chapters. All zotero-fields of those chapters should be hidden atm.
    4.) Refresh zotero fields! Now the citation numbering as well as the bibliography of this one chapter is (should be) as desired and just conferring to this one chapter.
    5.) Press the “Remove codes” button from zotero. This will finalize the document and no more updates on citation done with zotero will be possible, BUT this only effects the active part of the master-document! Everything hidden in the collapsed sub-ducuments is protected from this step and zotero code will remain!
    6.) Now expand the collapsed sub-documents again, re-include one by one in the master-document and repeat the above steps.

As mentioned this is just a work-around and with the necessity of removing zotero codes it is not really a the best thing if constant work is done on the document but multiple independent bibliographies are desired while working, but it might suite as (one of) the final steps done.
  • The less time consuming workaround is to simply keep all of the chapters in separate documents.
  • @bwiernik -- In libreoffice at least, this would break automatic indexes, cross-references to figures and formulas, as well as numbering.
  • I am in the final edits of my dissertation and was wondering if this has been patched...anyone know?
  • @Carla%20Allen nothing new on this front
  • Any news on this? It seems like it would be a great function to add, if it were possible. I write documents with lots of sections and would like to be able to have both section-specific bibliographies as well as a global bibliography for the entire document.

If any Zotero developers are reading, this gets my vote!
  • I really do not know, how you can do this in numeric styles.
  • I would like to add that when you copy/paste single chapters with their own bibliography in one "master" file, it is kept only the last copied bibliography, the others are removed.

I am just writing this for other fellow internauts: you are not alone in this. I will test the 19nurso79 solution.
  • For further reference, this worked for me.

## Situation

Scenario: an edited book with independent chapters

- multiple files, one for each chapter, each one with its zotero bibliography
    - a master file with all the chapters regrouped

How to (assuming you are using Word):

- open each chapter document
    - in the Zotero tab click "unlink citations" (do not save the file unless you want to lose the link with your references!)
    - copy the text in the "master" document
    - close the chapter document without saving
  • You're missing "- make a copy of each chapter" as a first stept. There is no way back from unlinking citations and people following your little guide with run into problems then.
  • You are missing the multiple parts in which I wrote "do not save the file". It is in the first step, and repeated in the last.
  • Found a workaround using the information included here: https://nksbarker.blogspot.com/2015/01/chapter-bibliographies-with-zotero.html

1. Have live chapters saved separately, with the respective Zotero bibliographies (no need to unlink the citations).
    2. Create a master document that contains the information that is off-chapters (acknowledgements, introduction, etc.)
    3. Add page breaks using the Odd page option, one break per chapter to add.
    4. Go to View --> Outline --> Show Document --> Insert, and click the chapter you want to add (making sure that you're adding the chapter in the intended section.
    5. Repeat the process with each chapter.
    6. Exit from Outline view, making sure to select Expand subdocuments first.

Your document will now feed from each of the different chapters. You can modify the sub-documents from within the master document, or each subdocument individually, and the changes will appear on the other. You can also add a general TOC (just make sure to select No when asked if you want to replace one of the existing TOCs.

The only downside to this is that Zotero is not capable of reading the references on each of the different subdocuments, so you'll have to copy and paste as text from each of the different chapters, sort alphabetically, and remove duplicates for the master bibliography.