Cite Them Right Harvard - 12th edition

Hi,

The 12th edition of Cite Them Right Harvard has just been published. Two noticeable differences are:

DOI is now displayed as a URL e.g.
Barke, M. and Mowl, G. (2016) ‘Málaga – a failed resort of the early twentieth century?’, Journal of Tourism History (in italics), 2(3), pp. 187–212. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/1755182X.2010.523145

Editors in section/chapter of an edited book are now presented initial, surname e.g.
Karim, R., Tretten, T. and Kumar, U. (2018) ‘eMaintenance’, in M. Pecht and M. Kang (eds) Prognostics and health management of electronics: fundamentals, machine learning, and the internet of things (in italics). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, pp. 559–587.

I just wondered whether anyone was creating the following two styles to reflect these updates?
Cite Them Right 12th edition - Harvard
Cite Them Right 12th edition - Harvard (no "et al.")

Thanks,

Ruth
  • Thanks both! The new styles should be available on zotero.org/styles any minute
  • Thank you - much appreciated.

Am I right in thinking that you've updated Cite Them Right 11th edition - Harvard (no "et al.") to the 12th edition instead of creating a new style? If this is the case then the style is still called Cite Them Right 11th edition - Harvard (no "et al.") so needs the name changing to Cite Them Right 12th edition - Harvard (no "et al.").

Many thanks,

Ruth
  • Apologies. I've also just noticed that neither of the new 12th edition styles insert Available at: before the doi URL.
  • Putting "Available at" in front of DOIs is quite untypical.
    Any chance you could copy the section from the guidelines here to evaluate if it's not mixed up with how websites need to be rendered?
  • I agree! I much preferred 11th edition! Here is the information from Cite Them Right Online (matches information in print 12th edition):

Journal articles

Citation order:

Author (surname followed by initials)
    Year of publication (in round brackets)
    Title of article (in single quotation marks)
    Title of journal (in italics – capitalise first letter of each word in title, except for linking words such as and, of, the, for)
    Issue information: volume (unbracketed) and, where applicable, part number, month or season (all in round brackets)
    Page reference (if available) or article number
    If accessed online:

Available at: DOI or URL (if required) (Accessed: date)

Example:

Barke, M. and Mowl, G. (2016) ‘Málaga – a failed resort of the early twentieth century?’, Journal of Tourism History (in italics), 2(3), pp. 187–212. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/1755182X.2010.523145
  • That has been updated.
  • Many thanks!
  • edited February 16, 2024
    Hi, I've just realized a difference between Zotero version and the Cite Them Right guide. Accoring to Pears & Shields (2022) ('Cite them Right: The Essential Reference Guide', 12th ed.: pp. 55-56) there is a distinction between Magazine Articles and Newspaper Articles: the former typically includes the day-month format within brackets. However, in Zotero, Magazine Articles do not use brackets for the day and month.
  • Could you post the full example they have for a magazine article in the guide?