original date extra not consistent with Chicago

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I've missed something obvious, but I've been struggling with how to represent the original date of publication in Zotero. Putting original-date in extra spits out a Chicago citation like this: (1958; repr., The University of Chicago Press, 2018) when I want it to just be (The University of Chicago Press, [1958] 2018). Putting the original date in brackets in the year field doesn't work. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thank you!
  • Can't be done with the existing Chicago style. Are you sure [1958] 2018 is an option given in the Manual? If so, where?
  • Hi all,

I have the same problem as dokwmoi. The brackets option for the original date is given in the 17th ed of the Manual (15.38 Reprint editions and modern editions—more than one date). I would appreciate any suggestions on how to solve this. Thank you.
  • That's for the author-date style, and Zotero's Chicago (author-date) follows 15.40 (which I assume you mean; 15.38 is about publications preferring sentence case) exactly. Just in case you're not aware: put the original date into Extra as original-date: 1958

The OP is about the footnote styles, which I don't think have the bracket format.
  • Not all original dates describe works that are reprints. For instance, the following work contains a lecture given in 1914 that was only published in a collection in 1934:

A. Lawrence Lowell, “The Selective Function of Education” (1914) in At War with Academic Traditions in America (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1934).

There appears to be no way to produce such a citation in Zotero at present. CMOS 17 provides for alternatives to the reprint terminology, such as:

Trollope, Anthony. 1977. The Claverings. With a new introduction by Norman Donaldson. New York: Dover. First published 1866–67.

———. 1983. He Knew He Was Right. 2 vols. in one. New York: Dover. First published 1869.

Is it possible to more finely specify how Zotero formats works with multiple dates?

Thanks!
  • Is it possible to more finely specify how Zotero formats works with multiple dates?
    No. At some point, I also just don't see how that's possible with automated citation styles, especially those integrated in GUI tools.
  • Perhaps it might be possible to identify one very broad description that is distinct from reprints, and then distinguish between fields in 'extra'. 'Original-date' could still default to 'Reprint' but one could instead specify 'Authorship-date', which might produce something like "Trollope, Anthony. 1977. The Claverings. With a new introduction by Norman Donaldson. New York: Dover. Date of authorship 1866–67."
  • The automatic addition of "reprint" is very stupid, I find. Most of the works where I want to single out the original date of publication are translations thus not reprints. This feature should really be changed. I think many people in humanities who often use translations but want to point out the original date of publication are struggling with this feature.
  • @adamsmith In APA, I used the `references` variable to contain more detailed information about previous versions of a work. That might be worth incorporating into Chicago