Dealing with Special Characters in HTML Exports

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to export a list of bibliographies as HTML and there appear to be these special characters that I want to get rid of.

I have seen a similar Forum discussion about doing this when exporting as a BibTeX, but there was not any info on how to change the encoding to "western" for HTML or if there exists any other way to do this.

Any help in this regard will be immensely helpful. Thanks.
  • edited June 21, 2022
    Zotero exports HTML as UTF-8.
  • Yes. I saw that on the HTML Style editor. But is it possible to change that in the HTML or is there any other way to get rid of these special characters?
  • I don’t know what you mean by that. If you “get rid” of accented characters, you have misspelled words.

In any case, whatever you’re trying to do you can do outside of Zotero. It’s just HTML.
  • Or are you talking about things like quotation marks? If you’re saying you want ASCII characters for those, you’d have to do that outside of Zotero. Zotero generates proper typographic characters.
  • (To be clear, the BibTeX thing you're referring to is to use escape sequences instead of raw Unicode characters. It's not to "get rid" of extended characters. And that's only there for people using BibTeX processors that haven't been updated to support Unicode since the 80s… Most software supports Unicode.)
  • Yes. Understood. Thanks for the clear explanation.! (: