Why am I no longer able to assign colors to my tags?

Hello all, I'm wondering why the colors feature for my tags is no longer available to me. Why did this happen and how can I reactivate this useful feature?
Thanks.
  • It hasn’t gone anywhere. What are you experiencing that you think it’s gone? What happens when you try to assign a color to a tag?
  • It is grayed out and I can no longer select it after clicking on "Manage Tags".
  • Can you take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here?
  • edited June 10, 2022
    Oh, you're talking about the web library. Be sure to say that explicitly when posting here — otherwise everyone is going to assume you're talking about the Zotero app, which is what all documentation on this site and all discussion of "Zotero" is going to be about. We always recommend using the desktop app for any sort of significant work.

You can only assign nine tag colors, which is why you can't add more. You also should currently only be able to assign a color to a single tag, but it looks like the web library isn't enforcing that. We may relax that, though, in which case you'd still only be able to assign nine colors but could assign the same color to multiple tags.
  • Thank you. Why are no more than nine tags allowed? Is there any possibility that this # will go up in the future? Thanks again.
  • The major reason is that colored tags can be added and removed by typing the 1-9 keys on your keyboard (and 0 removes all colored tags)