Location in Archive

In the "Info" tab (right panel) there is a field called "Loc. In Archive".

1) How is this populated?
2) Is it meant to hold the OS file location?

If not the OS file location, would the OS file location be a reasonable addition to the Info tab? This would enable a link to the library item from outside of zot... say in onenote or other app, where you want to point to that library item and open it outside of zot.

• It is populated manually generally. It is for things like the box and folder number for a document in a museum collection.

File location on your computer you can see by selecting an item and expanding its attachments (click the spin toggle next to the title in the item list or type the right arrow key), then selecting the attachment item.
  • I'm not following? OK, I use the spin toggle to see an attachment which in my case is a PDF 99% of the time. But that does not tell me the OS location of the file, so that I can copy/paste it into another app like Onenote.

Wouldn't the OS location of the file be an easy add to the 'Info' tab so that you can easily reference and click on a link to zot files in other applications?
  • edited June 6, 2022
    You can copy a zotero://select or zotero://open-pdf link with the Zutilo extension, or you can right-click → Show File and copy the path from your OS file manager.

The OS file path of an attachment doesn't belong in the Info pane of the parent item, no, and I don't think it needs to be in the attachment pane either — the whole point of stored files is that it abstracts file storage, so the path isn't relevant for most people, and you can get it from the file manager easily if you need it.