[Beta:] Zotero connector disappeared from toolbar on Safari

Current Zotero Beta: 6.0.7-beta.3+c49a05d48.
Safari 14.1.2 (Not current, because stuck on OSX Mojave)

Zotero connector enabled (also tried reenabling). Used to work until recently. Now vanished from Safari toolbar (It appears for half a second occasionally).

Can this be helped ?

Thanks.

• edited May 12, 2022
    Thank you for the lightning fast answer.

Unfortunately, the linked guidance did not solve the problem. (Tried with Zotero 6.07 and Beta 6.08, rebooted the Mac twice, various orders of starting Zotero, Safari, and the extension). Always the same behavior: upon enabling the connector, its symbol appears in the toolbar briefly, then vanishes.

I can live fine without the connector in Safari, since the connector works in Firefox. So no need to delve into the problem.

(N.B. There was a small issue with the Safari connector while it worked, namely that one could not save without a snapshot - had to delete that afterwards to save disk space).

Thanks for Zotero!
  • edited May 12, 2022
    As it notes, on macOS versions before Big Sur you're likely to run into additional problems. Others have solved it by booting into Safe Mode before performing those repair steps.
    There was a small issue with the Safari connector while it worked, namely that one could not save without a snapshot
    That's available in Safari by right-clicking on the page. Safari extension toolbar buttons don't get a menu.
  • FWIW, I’m now not seeing the Zotero connector using Safari under Big Sur. For a time it’s worked well, but now it seems gone :-(

May put up a post asking if others are seeing this, any suggestions, etc.

Haven’t yet tried the uninstall/reinstall thing.
  • No, please don't open new posts for the same issue. There's absolutely no new information here — if this happens, you have to do the "uninstall/reinstall thing", as documented on the page above.
  • I know that’s the advice for OS version prior to Big Sur, but you’ve said previously that it now works for Big Sur - which I’d have taken include that I don’t have to do this uninstall/reinstall trick, hence my comment. (That I’m seeing it in Big Sur was why I took it to be a different issue.)
  • OK… that does reinstate it, but I have to admit I had hoped this wasn’t needed in Big Sur. I guess I can hope it’ll be less frequent!

Thanks for all your work on Zotero.
  • I know that’s the advice for OS version prior to Big Sur,
    It's not — that's the advice on the linked page for all macOS versions. I did previously tell you that "Reports of this problem have trailed off over the last year, suggesting that Big Sur mostly or entirely fixed it", but after we released Zotero 6 it became fairly clear that it was still happening occasionally. It may be even less likely in Monterey, but it's really hard to say — it's been happening for so long that people have likely gotten used to the workaround and stopped reporting it, and when they do they don't always share their macOS version.
  • Thanks :-) Sorry if it’s coming across the wrong way, it’s just what I took away from what I read at the time, so it was unexpected for me :-(

Know what you mean about people not sharing the OS version.

Good luck with it. Cheers.