how to enter an article in an edited collection of articles

I seem to fail understanding what to do in order to add to my library an article that I found in a collection of article such as the following reference:

"A. Gopnik (1998). Theories, language and culture: Whorf without wincing. In M. Bowerman and S. Levinson (eds.) Conceptual development and language acquisition. New York: Cambridge University Press."

I tried journal article but it turned out Zotero forgot the "In" and journals also don't show place of publicaton etc.
If someone can explain me I'd be really greatefull. I have plenty of these kinds of articles in my work.
  • Try Book Section. List Gopnik as Author and Bowerman and Levinson as Editors.
  • Oh great that works!
    I don't know why I've been so silly not to think about that before.
    Thanks a lot!
  • That's fine for a book with an editor. Quite a lot of edited collections don't have an editor, instead the collection editor is an organisation. Here's an example

Ohia, M. (1993). Adapting mathematics to meet Māori needs and aspirations. In Ministry of Māori Development. Pangarau: Māori mathematics and education (pp. 37-43). Wellington: Ministry of Māori Development

Perhaps I have misunderstood APA style here, and I should omit the book author's name altogether in this citation? Otherwise, is there a way to get Zotero to leave out the "(Ed.)" from the citation.
  • chris_h
    This is a supprizingly complicated issue. What is difficult here is that you want to set different rules for different kinds of authors, institutions vs individuals. But Zotero, and as far as I know, all the databases Zotero interacts with are not built to recognize that difference.

We could add a feature that would drop (Ed.) from the citation whenever an author is a single name, but that is still sort of a hack. For example some other language names do not work on the western first last system and thus use the single name box. We would still want those non-western names to get (Ed.) inserted before them.
  • I think the elegant (non-hackish) way to do this is to have a further item in the drop-down that selects "Author" or "Editor" so you can also select "Corporate Editor", which goes in the bibliography without the "(Ed.)"

But, on further reflection perhaps the correct answer is to include the (Ed.) anyway. The corporation has after all edited the volume. So you would get...

Ohia, M. (1993). Adapting mathematics to meet Māori needs and aspirations. In Ministry of Māori Development (Ed.). Pangarau: Māori mathematics and education (pp. 37-43). Wellington: Ministry of Māori Development
  • Zotero ABSOLUTELY NEEDS to add an option to add a "chapter in an edited collection" option. This is mandatory for all scholars. We should not have to change authors or make other edits. MLA demands a proper citation for this, as do all citation styles.
  • please don't yell.
    I don't understand your question/concern: Zotero has an option for chapters as explained by arggem above - why does that not work for you?
  • I have an edited collection of 5 texts that were published as one article together in a journal. I would like to be able to cite each of the texts separately, as they have different topics, authors and titles. If I change the item type to Book Section, I lose the ability to properly refer to the journal ("issue" is dropped). I also tried, keeping the Journal Article format, to insert the collection title as "series" or "series title" but these don't show up in my bibliography...
  • You should use Journal Article. Whether Series or Series Title is included depends on the citation style. What style are you using?
  • Hi, thanks for your answer. I am using standard APA style. I tried using Series, Series Title and Series Text but none of them show up in my bibliography.