Managing multiple libraries und Windows 10

Contrary to https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/multiple_profiles:

"When you create a new profile (e.g., “Work”), if there's already a profile pointing to the default data directory location, Zotero will create a new data directory named after the new profile (e.g., “Zotero Work”) when you first start it. Your original data directory won't be affected. "

Zotero didn't do this for me. I had to manually create a new dir in each profiles settings.

For starting a different profile I had to use the name inside " for it to work:

path/to/zotero.exe -p "lib2"

Unfortunately I can open only one instance of Zotero at the same time, even using different profiles. (Windows 10)
  • Note to myself, since it did cost me some time:

If you want to use different libraries, i.e. for different, non-connected research-topics it can't be done in the settings.

1) You have to start Zotero on the command-line using the "-P" Flag to open the proifle manager. Create a new profile and de-select "Use the selected profile without asking at startup."

Restart using your new profile. Now, https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/multiple_profiles mentions:

"When you create a new profile (e.g., “Work”), if there's already a profile pointing to the default data directory location, Zotero will create a new data directory named after the new profile (e.g., “Zotero Work”) when you first start it. Your original data directory won't be affected. "

It doesn't, at least for me!
    So I had to do it manually: start the new profile, and in settings -> Advanced -> Files point (or similar, I use the German version) Zotero to a new data dir. I have a Zotero folder in my documents, with subfolders for each library.

It would be really helpfull if a) I was able to open multiple libraries at the same time and b) the nam of the library were shown in the title (if the library != default).
  • (Please don't start duplicate threads for the same issue. I've merged these posts.)
    Unfortunately I can open only one instance of Zotero at the same time, even using different profiles.
    Did you pass -no-remote on the command line for the second instance?
  • 1) Thank you. Somehow I did not see the first one. You could have just deleted it!

2) That did the trick, thank you! The "may be needed" throw me off.

3) Now, if the profile name could be shown in the window title (if it is not "default") that would be great (unfortunately I don't know Javascript).

4) Otherwise it is a great program, thanks and kudos to all developing it!