Manage attachments > Convert linked files to stored files is greyed out

Hello,
I have just updated my Zotero storage plan, because I thought that this would overcome the issue of syncing attachments.

I have about 50 - 100 papers with "linked" pdfs that I would like to convert into "stored files" so that I can sync them with my Tablet (Zootero). Unfortunately in the desktop version the "Manage attachments > Convert linked files to stored files" option is greyed out.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Thanks a lot!
  • You have to select the items first.
  • No matter whether I select the parent element (Journal Article) or the attachment - the option remains greyed out and inaccessible.
  • It will be grayed out if the attachment isn't a linked file. A linked file has a chain in the attachment icon.

If you can't get it to work, can you take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here, or email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread? (We'll respond here.)
  • I have the same problem. I am trying to convert 'Attach link to file' attachments to 'Attach storted copy of file'. The 'Linked Files' section of the documentation states - 'If you wish to convert linked files to stored files in order to allow Zotero to manage them, you can do so from the Tools → Manage Attachments menu'. I am running v. 6.0.5 on a Macbook Air running macOS Big Sur v. 11.6.5. I use Firefox v. 99.0.1 as my browser. No matter what I highlight, the 'Manage attachments' option remains greyed out.
  • Same answer.
  • Astonishingly, this morning 'Manage attachments' is working just fine. Those that are linked rather than stored have a fainter icon in the main Library window, and clicking on the item or the attachement line activates the 'Manage attachments' option. Yesterday that was not the case, and I have no idea what's changed unless it took a couple of rounds of opening and closing Zotero to complete the recent upgrade. But all good now thanks.
  • Those that are linked rather than stored have a fainter icon in the main Library window
    No, they don't — they just show a chain in the attachment icon.
  • I think I have worked out what's going on. The list entries with faint pdf icons are all linked rather than stored, but they are those for which the link is broken. Using the 'Locate File' option in the window that reports the broken link makes it simple to re-establish the link, and then 'Manage Attachments' allows it to be converted to a stored file.
  • Hi - I am having this issue. I have a linked file, but it doesn't matter whether I select the attachment or the parent item, 'manage attachments' is grayed out.

• @meaghanmcs: What's the URL of the parent item online? Can you reproduce this after restarting Zotero?

(Just to respond to the above, the presence of the linked file on disk should make no difference in whether the menu option is enabled. It's enabled for all linked-file attachments and parent items of linked-file attachments. If the file doesn't exist the conversion won't work, though.)
  • Ah! Restarting did the trick. Thank you!
  • Is there any way to find all articles that have linked PDFs instead of stored PDFs? I am realizing now that I have the iPad app that I've been doing a good mix of linked and stored. I don't seen an option in advance find for PDF storage type. thank you!
  • Click an item in the items list, press + on the keyboard to expand all items, and scroll down looking for the linked-file icon.