Is it possible to use circled numbers in CSL?

I want to use numbers in circle in my bachelor thesis. But I don't find any citation forms to use this type of number. Like ① ②
I also find a similar problem.
https://help.citavi.com/en/topic/150339-in-word-how-to-set-the-style-to-change-the-serial-number-of-reference-into-the-number-with-circle
  • Not possible, no. I'd also generally advise against this, as it relies on special characters that may not be supported in all fonts and don't behave in a standardized way with respect to searching and sorting.
  • edited January 28, 2021
    What do you mean “special characters?” There's a whole Unicode Block (U+2460 to U+24FF) dedicated to “Enclosed Alphanumerics”, ranging (for numbers) from ① to ⑳. While there may be no ready-made style which uses it, it's certainly not impossible? (Yes, you'd also be responsible to use a font which actually contains the required glyphs, but that's always the case.)
  • Right, they're no longer standard numbers, so e.g. searching for "1" doesn't find them, that's all I mean by special characters -- as opposed to, e.g. a number in parentheses or in superscript, which is still the same character but with styling applied, i.e. behaves just like a number in all relevant ways.

This is impossible using current CSL (the language, not just existing styles);
    I don't see any reason to add support for it in CSL (because, again, I think it's a bad idea) and while I haven't looked at the unicode block to see if this is extensible, 1-20 is also not very many numbers, so what would the style do after 20? If you're really attached to this you can run a search & replace on your finalized thesis.
  • Circled numbers are common in CJK languages and they are mostly used in footnotes and lists. The China national reference standard GB/T 7714—2015 uses circled numbers in an example of note style.
  • Footnote numbers are controlled by Word, not Zotero. So you can use circled numbers in note styles by adjusting the footnote styling in Word
  • @bwiernik Got it, thanks.