Include tags in bookmark export

Currently when I export the library, I get just a giant list of links.
That is not ideal.

I would like for the exported bookmarks to preserve the tags, like for example Firefox does.
  • Any comments folks?
    Not a fan of being locked in.
  • That's just a format that hardly anyone uses. The last update to the translator was in 2017. We'll happily take a patch that finishes tag export support:

https://github.com/zotero/translators/blob/1bc64bd22d341e12d847ecf012de7864f7dc74a4/Bookmarks.js#L242
  • Hardly anyone uses HTML?
    That's surprising.
    And sad :\
  • What? I think you're confused here. It's not "HTML" — it's an ancient format that Netscape Navigator used for storing bookmarks in the 90s. If tags were added to this translator they wouldn't even be visible — they're stored in attributes. (I doubt tags were even supported in the original format.)

If there's something specific you're trying to do, just explain it and we can recommend an approach. But you seem to have no idea what this file format is.
  • edited May 1, 2022
    I'm trying to get the Netscape html bookmark file, the same format Firefox, Chrome, Edge and almost every other modern browser uses:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/import-bookmarks-html-file

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/internet-explorer/ie-developer/platform-apis/aa753582(v=vs.85)

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/import-bookmarks-and-passwords-ibrw1015/mac#ibrw62da31ab

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96816

Sure, it's ancient and it's got its downsides, but it's still actively used everywhere by the looks of it, so it's the only universal format, unless there's another translator that produces a format I can freely feed to most other archival tools or browsers.

>If tags were added to this translator they wouldn't even be visible — they're stored in attributes.

They're definitely visible.
    Zotero happily imported and organized everything with a Firefox-produced HTML.
    Problem is it loses them during export.

I'm trying to not get locked in.
    If I ever decide to move from Zotero or have to use another tool for whatever reason, I don't want to be stuck.
  • They're definitely visible.
    I don't know what you're looking at, but no, they're not — not in the defined Netscape format. And if I add tags to a Firefox bookmark entry and export it, the tags are in an HTML attribute, not the visible text:

<DT><A HREF="[…]" […] TAGS="foo bar">

It's possible some other browser puts them in the visible text as well, but that's not defined anywhere and not what actually gets imported.

Adding tags to an attribute in the Bookmarks.js translator would be trivial, and again, we'll happily take a patch for it. But the whole premise here is misguided. The bookmarks format would be incredible lossy — it's absolutely not any sort of protection against lock-in. Zotero supports countless standard bibliographic formats that include vastly more data (e.g., BibTeX or RIS).

But there's also no reason to worry about this until you're actually moving your data somewhere. Zotero has been around for 15+ years, is open source, stores data in an open SQLite database, and has built-in support for a couple dozen export formats. Your data isn't going to be locked in.
  • edited May 1, 2022
    I'm looking at the Zotero interface.
    Import a Firefox-exported HTML into Zotero, and all the tags are imported and correctly labeled.
    Meaning Zotero is obviously able to deal with HTML tags on import, but unable to deal with them on export.
    This inconsistency is what this whole post is about.

Just because it's stored in an attribute doesn't mean it's invisible.
    You can open the HTML in any text editor (HTML is just a marked up plaintext file) and they will all be there.
    The only time it would be invisible is when you open it as a webpage (which is obviously not applicable here).
    The "visible text" area is for the Title field.
    The attribute is the proper place for the tags, along with the URL and any other additional metadata.

>Zotero supports countless standard bibliographic formats that include vastly more data (e.g., BibTeX or RIS).

Neither Chrome, nor Firefox, nor tools like Archivebox support BibTeX or RIS though.

>But there's also no reason to worry about this until you're actually moving your data somewhere.

That's like getting an iPhone, then years later wondering why all the iMessage contacts and data won't transfer to your new Android phone.
    I'd rather worry about that stuff in advance than be stuck in a walled garden.
    Note that Apple have also been around for 15+ years.
  • edited May 1, 2022
    Just because it's stored in an attribute doesn't mean it's invisible.
    Your original post simply mentioned "a giant list of links", and you referred to this format as "HTML", suggesting you were viewing the HTML in a browser. I was just explaining that they'd be in the HTML attributes, not the visible text.

Calling Zotero a "walled garden" or relating this to "lock in" is absurd — again, we support countless export formats.

There's nothing more to say on this. It's a one-line change to add tags to the export format. I've created a ticket for it. If you know what an HTML attribute is, you can probably just do it yourself and submit a patch. If not, someone else might do it. But the bookmarks format supports a minuscule subset of the data people store in Zotero, so this just isn't remotely on anyone's priority list.
  • edited May 1, 2022
    That's like getting an iPhone, then years later wondering why all the iMessage contacts and data won't transfer to your new Android phone.
    (And also, no, it's really not. Apple software isn't open source. Zotero is, and if you ever wanted to get the data out in this extremely limited format and this hadn't yet been fixed, it would take five minutes of work to update one line in the JavaScript file that I linked to above.)