Web vs Desktop version

Out little college is transitioning from one overpriced bib software to Zotero, which I think is by far superior (and something I've been using since 2008). My colleagues seem to not understand the difference between the Web version of Zotero from the Desktop version. Does anyone know of a good source that explains the difference (and why) that I could share with folks?
  • edited April 1, 2022
    Desktop application is the primary way of using Zotero and offers complete functionality. Web library is a complementary tool for specific situations: e.g. where you're away from your main computer or there is no Zotero for your platform (e.g. some Chromebooks).

Web library does not sync entire library, instead it fetches only a small subset to display correct information - this enables web version to load any library in reasonable time but limits available functionality and affects performance of some features. Furthermore, since web library exists only in the browser, it cannot open attachments that are linked files (or stored using WebDAV).
  • Thanks tnajdek for the notes. Is there a reason why development went toward a desktop and not have the full functionality with the web. If I recall the initial development was in that direction. For our campus we will have the desktop available on our campus computers but I keep hearing from colleagues they expect the web to be the same as the desktop.

My guess, and it is only a guess, development is much simpler with a desktop than the web.
  • edited April 1, 2022
    Zotero has always been a local tool first, from day one. Syncing and a web library didn't even exist until a few years later. When people refer to "Zotero", they're almost always talking about the desktop app.

Developing a desktop app isn't "simpler" — if anything it's the opposite. A desktop app just allows for far more functionality than a website: a local database fully under your control, Word and LibreOffice integration, interaction with the filesystem, real windowing, access to other servers for things like WebDAV or IP-based file downloading, an unrestricted plugin system… Zotero is vastly more powerful than any purely web-based tool.
  • Thanks dstillman. Your comments can help me express why we want to use the desktop version. Personally I love it and have used it for many years. Trying to express this to my fellow librarians is the challenge. I suspect our faculty and students will have no problems.

• Hi everyone, is there already a discussion with a comprehensive list of all the differences between the Web and Desktop versions of Zotero?

It would be very useful to have one, especially for new users or users who can only use the online library.
  • edited April 28, 2022
    A comprehensive list would be quite long, as I mentioned above web library is complementary to Zotero, not competing with it. Dan mostly mentioned important differences above, here is an a list of features I can think of top of my head that Zotero has and web library lacks (I'm sure there is more):
    • Local database means everything can be accessed and modified much quicker. Zotero has readily-available "knowledge" about all relevant references, web library only has a subset at a time
    • Ability to work with local file system, e.g. adding PDFs directly from your documents or creating links to files on local drive
    • Word processor plugins enable inserting references and bibliography directly from Zotero
    • Much better experience when saving items from a connector (+ other features)
    • PDF metadata retrieval
    • PDF reader with annotations*
    • Import references from a file or from some other reference managers
    • Publish items into "My Publications"
    • Advanced search and and "find-as-you-type"
    • Ability to work with large number of references. Certain operations, like export or generate bibliography, are limited to a 100 items in web library for technical reasons. Zotero does not have this limit
    • Style editor
    • Custom citation styles
    • Tracking unfilled and duplicate items
    • Ability to create related items
    • More performant UI that natively adapts to the OS
    • Plugin system that allows more features and further customization
    * - this feature will eventually make it into web library

On the other hand the only advantage of web library is that it is accessibly almost instantly (does not require syncing) from almost any device. Being web-based, web library cannot offer as much functionality as a desktop-based Zotero but can come handy when the former is not available.
  • This is excellent. Our campus is moving from RefWorks to Zotero, a change that is long over due. This will help be explain the difference between the two. Again thanks.