Some strings are not on Transifex and thus aren't localised

edited April 27, 2022
Hi @dstillman and whom else it may concern,

I noticed that even with a 100 % complete localisation, some words and sentences are still in English, as there is no corresponding Transifex string. So far I've encountered (on macOS at least):

- All the text within the "Software Update" menu, i.e. "Checking for updates", "No Updates Found" (actually there is a string general.noUpdatesFound within zotero.properties, but it doesn't seem to be used for this) and the sentences underneath ("There are no updates available. Zotero will check periodically for updates." and the one under "Checking for updates").

- Everything within the Add-ons Manager

- The button "Toggle" within the Article Lookup Engine Manager

- The button "Cancel" in pretty much all pop-up windows, e.g. after clicking on "Unlink Account…" in the Sync-Preferences, after clicking on "Export library...", after clicking on "Export..." on an item, after clicking on "New collection...", etc.

- The buttons "Go back", "Cancel", and "Continue" within the "Import..." menu

- Everything in the ribbons of the Word Plugin ("Add/Edit Citation" etc.) and in Google Docs with Zotero Connector

Additionally, for the newly-added document type Preprint, the words "Preprint", "Repository", "Citation Key" and "Archive-ID" are always in English, even though there are Transifex strings for those.

Finally, the macOS Finder window that opens when trying to import a file is always in English, but since that's not part of Zotero itself I don't think it's a huge deal.

Edit (additions to the list):

- In the menu bar "File" menu, the strings "Export PDF..." (in the main library view) and "Print" (in the PDF reader)

-The window "Close Zotero", including its title and the description "A copy of Zotero is already open. Only one copy of Zotero can be open at a time."
  • Sorry about these. Varying reasons, but unfortunately they're all mostly outside of our control at the moment for technical reasons. We'll try to localize more of these (e.g., Cancel, which I didn't know about) when we upgrade to a newer version of the framework, hopefully later this year.

The Google Docs menu we should be able to do sooner.
    "Preprint", "Repository", "Citation Key" and "Archive-ID"
    These just use a different localization mechanism and should be updated soon.
  • Quick update to add 2 more strings to the list of missing localisations:

- In the menu bar "File" menu, the strings "Export PDF..." (in the main library view) and "Print" (in the PDF reader)
  • Another addition to the list:

-The window "Close Zotero", including its title and the description "A copy of Zotero is already open. Only one copy of Zotero can be open at a time."
  • I've found another addition to the list:
    "[Welcome to the] Import" window when doing a Mendeley import. Oddly, only the part in bracket is hardcoded, the word 'import' has a string thus can be translated. Also, in latest beta, the text below in the same window isn't translated, but it's present in transifex, maybe locales in github need just an update.

Also, the Zotero Connector is not fully translated (all preferences for instance), it could be nice if we could translate also that.

Any news on the work on word/writers plugins?
  • „Also, in latest beta, the text below in the same window isn't translated, but it's present in transifex, maybe locales in github need just an update.“

@ezellohar It‘s quite common for new strings to be put on Transifex right alongside a new beta release containing the new strings in English (which is the language that Zotero is being developed in). A benefit of this is that you can look at the beta version of Zotero to see the context in which the new strings are used. Usually, there’s enough time to translate the strings before the new stable version comes out (although occasionally a stable version gets released without implementing the very latest Transifex strings, which is a bit annoying).