Hybrid style: classiques garnier

Hello,

I am writing an article and what is requested is a sort of mixture of Chicago with footnotes and Chicago with in-text citations.
=> The first time a reference shows up, it needs to be a footnote with full citation:

Lawrence Venuti, The Translator’s Invisibility: A History of Translation, Londres/New York, Routledge, 1995, p. 20

... then when the same reference shows up again, just an in-text citation:

(Venuti, 1995, p. 10-11)

I wonder if there is any style that already exists that does that?
... in which case I can either use it and make a few corrections when it is done, or create my own .csl with it, with only a few minor corrections.

Concerning the BIBLIOGRAPHY, they have a few unusual requests too, such as the author's name in full caps, but since my bibliography is not extremely long, I can probably just modify that by hand (or possibly modify the .csl, but I'm only a beginner in .csl, so this is likely to be much longer and not necessarily reusable anytime soon).

Can anyone help me with that?
  • This can't be done in CSL (it's also frankly a bizarre idea for citations, but oh well).
    What you can do is write the entire style as in-text and then simply insert footnotes for the first citation manually, but obviously this won't automatically adjust things if you later add a citation to the same item before the first one.
  • to be specific, take Chicago (full note) and change it to an “intext” style in the first line of the style. Then, manually insert the first citation for an item into a footnote, rather than in text.
  • Thank you both for your answers.

@bwiernik I don't understand what you mean by "first line".

It reads:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Which part is it I must change to "intext"?

... or did you mean the first line AFTER the title?

http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-fullnote-bibliography

Is it "fullnote" that needs to be replaced by "intext"?
  • edited April 26, 2022
    Actually, I think you meant after the author/contributors, right?

category citation-format="note"/

Here I replace "note" with "intext" and that's all?
  • No, neither. The line right after the XML statement (which doesn't show in the style editor), starting with < style
  • The line beginning with < style does show in the editor.
    Is it not supposed to?
    I have:

xmlns="http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl" class="note" version="1.0" demote-non-dropping-particle="display-and-sort" page-range-format="chicago"

Should I replace class="note" with class="intext"
  • It's OK. I will not waste your time with .csl changes.

I think I will just start from Chicago and check out all the notes that have been reduced to author-page number, then replace that note with brackets in the text.

This should not take too long, hopefully.

I wish you a beautiful day.
  • edited April 26, 2022
    The line that starts with style (line 1 or 2) needs to have "class="in-text".

• Sorry, I meant the second line. Change class="note" to class="in-text"
  • Thank you.

So, as far as the article is concerned, I did what I mentioned above, that is start from the "basic" Chicago 17th full note that was there, and just had a few modifications to make.

Nonetheless, I also tried your suggestion, just out of curiosity, and it does put allth references in the text (first reference in full, then just short references), but without brackets. I suppose that something else would need to be changed in the .csl for it to be fully functional as an in-text style WITH brackets.

Thank you all for your help, really!

It's just incredible that each time I write an article, I click on "additional styles" and look for the journal, but it's never there, despite the hundreds (thousands?) of references there. Just bad luck, I guess.
    I suppose it is possible to request a style, but I don't know how long it would take to work it out (and is it worth it? Would it be reused?).
  • in the section starting with "citation", there is a party called "layout", add a prefix and suffix with the brackets, e.g. prefix="(" suffix=")".
  • edited April 27, 2022
    We have 10,000 styles on the repository. We're a very small team that maintains the repository, but if you need a specific journal's style you can always request it following this guide: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles
    (better do that well ahead of submitting)
  • @damnation Thanks a lot! I have just had a look at "citation" just to see what this is looks like. Am really trying to familiarise myself with coding .csl, with almost ZERO experience of coding beforehand, and I have no idea where I can find resources on this.
    I have contact the university library, but no one is able to provide a training session on that (Just basic stuff on Zotero, but not on .csl).

Concerning the styles, I will think about it next time. The problem is that, this time, they only gave me the style sheet THIS Monday to "apply it to my article", which I handed in at the end of January. Next time, I will ASK them to give it to me earlier and have a look at the link you have kindly provided.
  • P.S.: also want to mention that I am well aware that you are a small team and you are already doing an AMAZING job!
    I can never thank you enough for Zotero 6. The integration of the .pdf reader is just SOOO perfect! :-)