Feature request: Search all sub-collections when parent collection is selected

When using nested collections, searching in the parent collection does not give any results for documents in child collections. This forces you to search each child collection individually if you don't want to search the whole library, which is rather inconvenient for large libraries.

Example:

My Library
-> Parent Collection 1
----> Child collection 1
----> Child collection 2
-> Parent Collection 2
----> Child collection 4
----> Child collection 5

If I select "My Library" and search something, results from all the collections will be shown.

If I select "Parent Collection 1" and search something, only results for items directly in the collection will be shown. The items that are inside "Child collection 1" and "Child collection 2" will not be shown.

It would be really useful to be able to be able to search in all child collections at once, and being able to do so by selecting the parent collection seems like a behavior that would be expected.

• View menu → Show Items from Subcollections
  • Thanks!

Maybe there would be a way to make this feature more easy to find? Such as putting it next to the search field somehow? Or in the search preferences? Not knowing the option was there, I didn't think to look in the view menu. But I did look in the search the preferences, in the advanced search and in the buttons/drowpdown around the search field...
  • "Include subcollections" in the advanced search also does what you were asking. The "Show items..." preference isn't just for search, it affects where/how items are displayed, so putting it under search would probably be more confusing than helpful.
  • I would vote for all the arguments above. Changing view is not about search and I was looking for it in app preferences, not in view menu. Consider changing this.
  • We're not changing this. This has nothing to do with "search" — it's about what you see in the items list when you click on a collection. View is the appropriate place for it.