Possible to include short format followed by long format in the same reference?

Hello all

Apologies in advance for the confusing title.
I'll try and make it as clear as possible.

I'm currently working on how references looks with APA when dealing with laws and legislation.
Inspired by how other institutions are doing this in Scandinavia we would like to have the reference in the bibliography say:

[Popular title]. [Long title], [Law Number and Date]

An example would be:

Folkeskoleloven. Bekendtgørelse af lov om folkeskolen, LBK nr 1396 af 28/09/2020

Now, this would mean that the students could refer to laws by their popular title in their references. That same popular title would be shown in their bibliography followed by the long and formal title.

Now to me, I can't seem to figure out to have Zotero print out both the short AND long format after eachother.
To me it seems that I either have a choice to tell it to print short form always (when possible) or print the long form.

This isn't a huge problem for us, but really just a "nice to have" kind of thing.
If anyone knows a way to achieve this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

• Yes just use 2 calls to the title variable with both form="short" and form="long" in the reference
  • bwiernik to the rescue!

I don't know why I was so completely blind. I kept trying to add the two forms, in the same call, which obviously does not work..

I don't know why I never thought to simply add a new call after the first one..

Thanks! :)
  • I now have a new problem.

It seems that this solution causes the long form titles to appear TWICE in the bibliography, when there is no short form title (popular title).
    As seen in this long example:

Bekendtgørelse om formål, kompetencemål, færdigheds- og vidensområder og opmærksomhedspunkter i børnehaveklassen (Fælles Mål), Bekendtgørelse om formål, kompetencemål, færdigheds- og vidensområder og opmærksomhedspunkter i børnehaveklassen (Fælles Mål), (2018) BEK nr 186 af 05/03/2018.

Folkeskoleloven, Bekendtgørelse af lov om folkeskolen, (2020) LBK nr 1396 af 28/09/2020.

Is there any way to prevent this, so it will ONLY print the short form if there is one. it seems like the defaults to long form, when there is no short form, but that makes it post the long form title two time.

This is the snippet of the two lines of code that I made:

Is it possible to include some kind of exception, so that if no short form DON'T print long form? it is normally a great feature, but it is causing problems for me.
  • edited April 25, 2022
    There might be a conditional in the code. Short snippets need to be done like this: <code>asdf</code>

Always easier for us to pinpoint to the problem though if we can see the whole code. Please share via pastebin.com or a similar service. :)
  • if you use variable="title-short" rather than variable="title" form="short", you'll only get the short title and you can also test for the variable
  • Thanks both of you!

I would gladly share the code as you pointed out @damnation but the tip from @adamsmith seems to have solved my issue.

I remember looking through the csl documentation and reading about title-short and then right beneath it said:

Deprecated; use variable="title" form="short" instead

And with my non-existing knowledge I just thought that I HAD to use that, since that is also what is used through out the APA code that I'm adjusting.

Thanks to you, I have some law teachers here at campus that will be very happy :)