Feature Request: Adding more options to Cite

Hello good people!

I'm recently working on someone else's Ph.D. Thesis.
I was wondering if the following items could be added for citation -
1. Assignments
2. Lectures
3. Online NewsPaper
4. Seminar Papers
5. Working Papers
6. Webinar

It would be great if we could add ISBN for Documents and Reports too. I've found many reports with ISBN no. and categorized them as books.
  • ISBN (and other variables) can be added to all types of documents through the Extra field (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/item_types_and_fields#citing_fields_from_extra)
  • There are already existing types that cover all of those.

Assignments: Use Report or Manuscript. Those are often your best bets when dealing with not-for-publication pieces of writing.

Lectures: Presentation.

Online newspaper: Newspaper Article and put the URL in the URL field.

Seminar papers: Preprint or Conference Paper, I would think.

Working papers: Preprint.

Webinar: Presentation.
  • Agree with all of the above, except on't use conference paper for seminar papers: conference papers really are for published papers in proceedings. Preprint or manuscript would work best.
  • Thank you so much for your comments and feedback.
    From my perspective, The assignments from coursework don't have the same impact as a report. A University's research center can publish a report. A student from there can also publish coursework as a report. What's going to define them differently in Bibliography? There are many International Organizations' reports that come out as Working Papers. I didn't mean an academic manuscript. I agree with the Newspaper part. However, there are many online news portals, that are not basic newspapers. I don't know how to differentiate that. I posted it to clarify my confusion as I'm struggling to put them in place.
  • From my perspective, the main aim of each reference list is to provide information that helps readers to find referenced items. There is not important what the referenced item is.
  • edited April 13, 2022
    @sseity
    "... A student from there can also publish coursework as a report."

How many non-thesis undergraduate (or even graduate) student reports from coursework are likely to be cited by others? I've seen this once in 50+ years. It ended up being cited much like a thesis but as "undergraduate student sociology course report". The item was cited with quotations as an example of how things can go horribly wrong.

edited to fix typo
  • @DWL-SDCA I'm exactly facing this issue; therefore, I posted here. The Ph.D. thesis that I'm working on (Not mine) cited coursework that undergraduate students uploaded to academia.edu. The item is not cited to show how it went wrong. Prevailing significant scarcity of Data and Research in the respective field - an undergraduate assignment got cited. I don't know how to deal with this situation.
  • Cite as a Report