Zotero Error: Validating Style Sheets

Before I begin I must say that I am a Newbie when it comes to evaluating and building style sheets. This error occurs on several style sheets I have pulled recently from the repository as well as sheets I have edited myself. I have run my sheets through the validator and they come back clean but when I load them into Zotero I get an error message warning me they do not validate and may not work properly. Any suggestions as to what could be causing Zotero to think they were not valid?? I can give examples if needed.
  • edited April 7, 2022
    What are some example styles?
  • @dstillman So I am able to import SBL Version 1 with no issues however version 2 gives me the error. Both validate as good, but Zotero complains about 2 and not about 1. I have narrowed the complaint down to the macro section and basically commented out the whole of the macro section and the error went away. I am in the process of reading each macro back in. So far about 1/3 of the way through that process and I can activate it in Zotero with no warning. When I find the offending Macro I will let you know.
  • What's the actual error you're receiving? You certainly shouldn't get an error installing SBL 2 from the preferences. Can you provide a Debug ID for doing this?

• "https://www.zotero.org/styles/society-of-biblical-literature-fullnote-bibliography" is not a valid CSL 1.0.1 style file, and may not work properly with Zotero.
  • Not sure of a Debug ID as I get this error but the option to continue. I based my personal style on this style and when I validate my personal style with the validator it says its ok, but Zotero complains about it too. When I commented out the macro section it stopped complaining.
  • edited April 7, 2022
    Ah, the SBL full-note style, not the author-date one. Don't worry about that. That style was updated recently for CSL 1.0.2, and Zotero just hasn't yet been updated to handle the new changes. We have a fix for that coming soon.
  • @dstillman Just out of curiosity is there a single-line comment system that is acceptable in CSL. I could not find one in the documentation just the

<!-- -->

Which works for a multiline comment if there isn't another comment embedded in the code.
  • This is the macro that is causing the error to occur:

<macro name="unsigned-dictionary-note">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <group>
    <text variable="container-title" font-style="italic" text-case="uppercase"/>
    <number variable="volume" prefix=" "/>
    <text variable="collection-title" text-case="uppercase"/>
    <text variable="collection-number" prefix=" "/>
    </group>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text term="sub-verbo" form="short"/>
    <text variable="title" text-case="title" quotes="true"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </macro>

The macro itself does not appear in SBL1 and since appears to be related to notes I doubt it would appear in (author-date) format. I am also at a loss to interpret what exactly it is doing and why Zotero would consider this invalid under 1.0.1
  • From the post I linked to above:
    The one change potentially required for 1.0.1 styles is if the "sub verbo" term is used in the style. If this rarely used term is used, it must be renamed to "sub-verbo".
  • @dstillman I guess you lost me. I can see the term you referencing but it appears that the term is in the form you referenced that it has to be renamed to "sub-verbo" or am I just missing something. Anyway since its does not appear to be a major issue and I have no clue at this stage of the game if I am even going to be using Zotero much after the next 6 months I will let more competent minds wrestle with this. Maybe its the completionist in me but I just hate that it generates an error and it seems beyond my comprehension as to why. I know you have explained it, and done a remarkable job showing patience to this old man and for that I thank you.
  • I said not to worry about this. I'm not sure why you ignored that.
  • Like I said, probably the completionist in me. Kind of like when there is a cricket in your closet and it's driving you nuts until you find it and silence it. It just frustrates me when I cannot wrap my head around something that I should be able to figure out.