Same first author, same year, not distinguished in text

It drives me mad.
Using APA 7th style, checked that name is entered exactly the same in both cases.
I export in-text citation by - "Create bibliography from item" so there cant be any trouble with document and yet zotero cant handle it.
Is there any way to force it? Cus I will be using those citations a lot and this must a bug.
  • It's unclear whether you are using the word add-on to insert citations. That'd be the only way disambiguation works
  • I never used any add-on and it worked in the past so I m kinda confused now.
  • Could you then run us through exactly what you're doing? I'm not quite sure I understand.
  • Yes of course.

Best way is to graphically show it I guess:
    https://imgur.com/a/NRH3lWt

Output is "(Lambert et al., 2001)"
    There is another entry of Lambert from year 2001 just a couple rows above. Unfortunately I dont get Lambert et al., 2001a and Lambert et al., 2001b.
  • Sorry, but I promise you, this has never worked in Zotero. Zotero doesn't look at your entire library when creating citations (and that would also be quite problematic, because you won't always cite all Lambert et al's and so you'd be stuck with 2001a, d, and f).
    It *will* work if you select both Lambert citations at the same time, but for any serious citing in a document, you'll want to look at the word processor integration, which automatically disambiguates based on what's already cited in a document:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
  • No way, my whole life was a lie then :(
    It would be best if it could look only at selected subcollection.
    When selecting both it adds second author to distinguish citations instead of a/b, but that also works as far as I m concerned.
    I m afraid I dont have time to redo all the citation to setup integration.
    But thanks for your time and answers.
  • edited April 7, 2022
    Deleted.
  • (this is about actual citations, not keys; BBT, while great, isn't relevant here)
  • @adamsmith Yes, you're correct. I deleted my last message to avoid further distraction.