Zotero 6.0.4. zotero.dot missing - SOLVED

edited April 4, 2022
Hi everybody.
I have two versions of MS Word installed and working: 2016 and 2003
I need both.
In Zotero 5 there were two templates zotero.dot and zotero.dotm, which worked great in each of Word version.
Today zotero updated to 6.0.4
Unfortunately, there is not plugin zotero.dot for MS word 2003 in this version installation directory.
The previous plugin from version 5 doesn't work in zotero 6

Where can I find zotero.dot for Zotero 6 version?

Thanks.
Andrey

P.S.
There is huge number of requests similar to this "where can we download plugin for words...". I wonder, Developers, is it so hard to put links to MS word plugins on the https://www.zotero.org/download/ web page???
  • We haven't supported Word 2003 in years.

The Word plugin is distributed with Zotero. There's no need for a download link.
  • But, there is not word plugin zotero.dot in this installation.
    only zotero.dotm
  • edited April 4, 2022
    Right, because Zotero.dotm works in Word 2010, which is the oldest version we support.
  • and ... what I have to do now?
  • I am an Editor in scientific journal
    I have a lot of papers in old format.
  • Upgrade Word.
  • Unfortunately, this is not a solution.
    I have BOTH words.
    But they are not fully compatible with each other. This is well known
    Therefore, when the authors send me paper in 2003 I must process them in 2003
  • I'm not sure what you want us to say. Again, we haven't supported Word 2003 in years. There's no point continuing to post about this.
  • Okay.
    I have previos zotero.dot
    What I can do to update it to work in Zotero 6?
  • edited April 4, 2022
    @dstillman

Crazy, conversation!! Not friendly!

Only a few lines of code and 1 variable adding.
    Then everything works fine

If somebody need, let me now.
    will send updated Zotero.6.dot
  • Files created with Word 2003 (i.e. saved with .doc instead of .docx) format are fully editable with Word 2016. If those files automatically open for you in Word 2003, you can either manually open them in Word 2016 via the File menu, change the default program that opens .doc files to Word 2016 (although in my experience that sometimes doesn't work well due to Windows bugs) or simply remove Office 2003 completely from your computer.
  • @adomasven
    Thank you.
    Since I could change zotero.dot plugin code to update it to newest release, do you really think I don't know about opening files in different versions of the msword? :-)

The matter of fact is that a lot of the authors in developing countries use word 2003 (you may be surprised)
    Therefore, the change I have made is helpful for them.

Best regards
  • The matter of fact is that a lot of the authors in developing countries use word 2003 (you may be surprised)
    Therefore, the change I have made is helpful for them.
    You didn't say anything about this in any of your posts, otherwise Word 2016 is fully backwards compatible with .doc files. We no longer provide official support for 2003 but users are welcome to use it if they manage to get it to work.
  • @dr_avk, I completely agree with you - also that the conversation was not friendly and not helpful. This is a clear and simple request from a clearly very competent user. There can be many reasons why people cannot necessarily simply upgrade their existing set-ups, and developers should be aware of this and respect it. @dr_avk, I could certainly do with your updated Zotero.6.dot file, could you make it available somewhere online please?
  • There can be many reasons why people cannot necessarily simply upgrade their existing set-ups
    Yes, which is why we provide support for Word versions going back to Word 2010. Zotero is open source, and if you can get it working with an older version of Word, that's great, but it's frankly bizarre and obnoxious to come here and demand that we provide free support for a 20-year-old version of Word that we've said clearly we no longer support and act like having system requirements is a unique concept.
  • edited March 28, 2023
    @"Paul Heggarty"

Hi, Paul, sorry, please for such a long delay.
    1. Unfortunately, this forum did not sent a notification to me, don't know why!
    2. I live in Ukraine, there are some uncomfortable conditions for working :-)

So if you still need help you can download updated Zotero.dot form here:
    https://www.triacon.org/environment/service/Zotero.2003.new.dot

If you want to see the changes - they all are marked by comment:

"Added for Zotero 6"

Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
    andrey.kuzmin@triacon.org

Best regards
    Andrey
  • There is an updated plugin for MS Word 2003.
    It reflects all the latest changes as of March 25, 2023.
    The plugin has been renamed to Zotero.2003.new.dot to avoid being removed by the Portable version of Zotero.
    This plugin should be saved to the MS Word STARTUP folder.

1. Download the plugin from any of the links:
    https://www.triacon.org/environment/service/Zotero.2003.new.dot
    https://chiffa.org/msjrn.old/files/Zotero.2003.new.dot

2. Close MS WORD if it is open.

3. Navigate to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP.

4. Copy the downloaded plugin there.

5. Open MS Word

If you don't see the Zotero toolbar, it may be hidden. Right click on an empty space in the toolbars -> list of available toolbars -> Zotero Bibliographic Manager -> make visible

If you have any questions/problems, feel free to contact me via email:
    andrey.kuzmin@triacon.org

Best wishes,
    Andrey
  • Dear @dstillman,

A couple of days ago, I received another personal request for Zotero.dot from a professor at the University of Hong Kong.
    Seems older scientists prefer MS Word 2003 :-)

I have updated the plugin to the latest version. Maybe it would be helpful to create a dedicated Zotero thread or Zotero forum where I can post plugin updates for those who need it?
  • @dr_avk As a word2003 user, you saved my life. I registered my account only to thank you for your contribution. Thanks a lot!