Is there a way to turn off the update?

Unfortunately my computer is not running zotero 6.04. but there was no problem working in version 5.
Now when I switch to the previous version it automatically updates to the new version. so i can't use zotero. Is there a way to turn off the update?
  • By the way, version 6 of zoterone doesn't run most of the plugins. It also consumes a lot of ram. And within a few minutes the computer freezes. Although the idea is good, a zotero with a pdf reader does not work efficiently. The beauty of Zoteron was that it could run at an efficient speed on any computer. But now in version 6 this is not the case.
    Unfortunately, the zotero program is not efficient at all. Far behind my expectations. Not everyone in the world is equal. Unfortunately, not everyone has a good computer, good facilities. Unfortunately the pdf idea on the progression of Zoteron was nice.
  • You can turn off auto-update in the config editor, yes you'll want to set app.update.auto to false (see https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences for hidden preferences in general, though this one isn't listed).

Generally speaking, though, this isn't a solution. Zotero 6 doesn't require more resources -- a large number of open PDFs does, but you can either just not do that or opt out of using the PDF viewer -- and it should be compatible with pretty much any OS that ran the 5.0.96 releases. Moreover, the 5.0 releases aren't going to be supported anymore and things will increasingly stop working, starting with sync and translators. So rather than staying with the 5.0 version, it'd make more sense to actually report the issues you're seeing with 6.0.

On that topic:
    Unfortunately, the zotero program is not efficient at all. Far behind my expectations. Not everyone in the world is equal.
    better to just describe specific issues you're facing as precisely as possible than to assume they're general issues and editorialize.
  • edited April 4, 2022
    I am working on a nine-year old, cheap computer with a Zotero library of ~9000 items with thousands of pdfs attached (and with a lot of annotations and notes now, thanks to Zotero 6). Zotero 6 still performs OK, but with 10+ PDFs open, it does slow down a bit. It would really help if you can explain your specific problem, and the devs or the volunteers may be able to respond.
    version 6 of zoterone doesn't run most of the plugins.
    All plugins I use were updated except one. For a few, I had to manually install the updated xpi from the github page of the plugins, but most used ones may be updated now. You may want to write on the forums what plugin you need that no longer works.
  • How to only disable automatically download in the background but still allow upgrade notification so that I decide when to download and install upgrade?
    I saw this hidden preference setting in config editor, app.update.download.attempts with a value of 0. Does it work if I change the 0 to 1?
  • I really want to stay in zotero 5. Is there a way to completely turn off updates for this? Because zotero doesn't work on my computer. Whereas zotero 5 was working. and I fell behind my scientific schedule. I install zotero 5 and it upgrades itself to 6 after first use. In this case, I cannot add a new article. I can not properly review the articles and take notes.
  • I told you how above. It's still a bad idea