Can't get Zotero to work in Snow Leopard/MS Word 2008

I've installed according to the recent plugins as of yesterday. When I click on add citation, nothing happens.

1. Is there an order that the plugins should be installed in or should word be shut down?
2. Is there a diagnostic to run to verify that the plugins are appropriately installed.

Anyone else have trouble of this sort and were you able to resolve it and how?

Thanks
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#no_response_from_plugin
  • Dear Dan:

Thanks. On following the instructions, I have Python Ext 2.6.1 listed, Zotero 2.0b7 withc (preferences, disable, uninstall buttons) and Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a2

For some reason, PythonExt has underneath "This add-on will be installed when Firefox is restarted". But restarting doesn't seem to install it as I get the same three when I go to extensions.

Thoughts? I will try to download Python again.
  • I'm using Firefox 3.5.3. The pythonExt won't install for some reason. Just tried to reinstall with word closed. No change.
  • I'm getting the following on 10.6.1 with 2.0b7 and MacWord Integr. 3.0a2

"Zotero Integration Error
    Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again."

Also, strangely, can't seem to uninstall the PythonExt. Something is amiss.

SFJ
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#component_loading_error
  • Thank you, Dan. A manual delete of the PythonExt, and an uninstall of 3.0a2 (manually deleting the cache files after each), followed by an update from 2.0b7 to 2.0b7.1, followed by a reinstall of PythonExt then a reinstall of 3.0a2 -- fixed the problem. Seems to be working normally now.

With gratitude for all your work to make Zotero better,
    SFJ
  • Hi Dan:

Managed to have all three installed. Now I get the following error message when I try to reinstall word components:

zotero macword integration could not be installed because an error occurred

rm:/users/MY NAME/documes/microsoft user data/word script menu items//zotero//add bibliography\cob.scpt:Permission denied

etc (permission denied several more times for such lines differing in what follows "zotero//"

HELP!
  • edited September 16, 2009
    chinesephilosopher, do you have administrator privileges on your system? If so, there is an error with the permissions on these files. You can fix this by opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and pasting the following (verbatim; don't replace $USER or $HOME)

sudo chown -R $USER $HOME'/Documents/Microsoft User Data'
    and then return. You should then be prompted for your password. Enter it and press return again. Then try reinstalling Word components.
  • Thank you Simon.

Yes, that did the trick.