Quick copy/drag drop annotation does not include link

When I drag drop an item (a paragraph) in my note to obsidian, the item does not include the zotero link to the pdf. Report ID: 1361350850

Current outcome when drag drop:
Team Learning as an Outcome (Wiese and Burke 2019:1418)

Desired outcome:
Team Learning as an Outcome ([Wiese and Burke 2019:1418]{zotero://open-pdf/library/items/B35SSNLL?page=2))
  • edited April 1, 2022
    You have to change a setting in Obsidian: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/400374#Comment_400374
  • Thank you for your reply!

Turn on the 'Auto convert HTML' does work, but only with annotations that are extracted with the zotfile plugin.

Example:
    - Without shift:
    Networking ([Wolff et al 2018:3](zotero://open-pdf/library/items/RQN97AKI?page=3))

- With shift:
    Networking (Wolff et al 2018:3)

But for the annotations that are extracted with zotero ('Add note from annotation'), the link do not show up:

- Desired outcome:
    “Centering” ([Finch and Bolin, 2017, p. 38](zotero://select/library/items/TVQ2G4GH)) ([pdf](zotero://open-pdf/library/items/5JCEELGZ?page=53&annotation=QCVRISLS)) Centering

- Outcome without shift:
    “Centering” (Finch and Bolin, 2017, p. 38)

- Outcome with shift:
    “Centering”

• I have also submitted a debug output. Debug ID: D1863583300
  • Where exactly are you dragging from, and what are you dragging?

If you're using Zotero's Quick Copy function, Shift is totally irrelevant for note dragging, as I explained repeatedly in the linked thread — it applies solely to dragging regular non-note items in bibliographic mode. So if Shift is doing something, you're not using Quick Copy note export.

(And your debug output doesn't show a drag, so I'm not sure what you're doing here.)
  • Thank you for your very quick response!

In the notes, i have many annotations.
    So for the debug, i dragged 1 annotations from that note.
  • I uploaded a pic of the item/paragraph in note
    https://ibb.co/hsfxKj6
  • There are many more annotations in that note
  • You're talking about the note editor, in the right-hand pane? That's not Quick Copy. To drag an annotation as Markdown, drag the note from the middle pane, or drag an individual annotation from the PDF reader.

It's possible dragging an annotation from a note should do the same thing, but currently that simply drags the visible text. (I'm not sure why you're seeing a difference with Shift. That may be something Obsidian is doing. Zotero shouldn't care about that, and Shift makes no difference for me when dragging to an actual plain-text editor.)
  • @trungng2006
    Turn on the 'Auto convert HTML' does work, but only with annotations that are extracted with the zotfile plugin.
    You should disable (turn off) this option in Obsidian
    But for the annotations that are extracted with zotero ('Add note from annotation'), the link do not show up:
    I regularly use this option in my workflow and it works fine when draging a note created with Z6 to Obsidian.
  • @dstillman
    It would be wonderful if dragging annotation from a note also preserve the link :D.

Thank you so much for your quick response and patient!

About the shift: I tested with Notepad and the result is the same as you said.

Once again, thank you!

@warguelles
    May I ask if you are dragging the whole note (note item) or an annotation within a note?
  • edited April 2, 2022
    @trungng2006 I usually drag a whole note.

Single annotation:
    If you want to drag only one annotation, you will drag it from the left-hand pane in the Zotero PDF reader, and it will keep the backlinks (you can also select two or more annotations and drag them).
    You can also drag an annotation directly from the annotated PDF (center pane). It will copy the highlighted text and its comments (as well as the backlinks), but I find the previous option more convenient.
  • @warguelles

Thank you! dragging annotation from the left-hand pane and the annotated pdf in the Zotero PDF reader work!

However, I still prefer the option to preserve the link when dragging from the note editor though.
    Its a better workflow for reading a book. After each chapter, I can drag new annotations over to obsidian rather than having to drag the whole note and reprocess it.
  • How exactly are you dragging? By selecting the paragraph drag handle or by selecting text and dragging the text?
  • I tried both.

But if for the feature, I would prefer highlighting text and drag (so user can choose single or multiple annotations for dragging)
  • In Zotero 6.0.10, available now, copying directly from the note editor copies it as Markdown, including the Zotero links, for plain-text mode. (The links will be configurable in an upcoming version.)