Cant add screen grabs to note?

Until some of the recent updates, I could easily do a screen capture/screen grab and paste that into my note. I understand it may not be the best workflow, but it is my workflow and it works for me!

For some reason since some of the recent updates, particularly the "upgrade" of the formatting toolbar, I can't seem to do this anymore.

Any help greatly appreciated. I am still pretty new to Zotero.
  • Zotero 5 didn't support images in notes at all — the fact that it worked at all was a fluke, and it broke syncing and caused performance problems.

Zotero 6 officially supports images in notes — you can drag them in or paste them from certain web browsers. It's not currently possible to paste in images from all local programs but we're going to try to improve that in a future version.
  • Sorry to hear that. Any idea of when that might happen? The extra step of "saving" the screen grab as and image and then dragging it into the note kind of wrecks the simplicity of what I was doing before.

I was screen grabbing and pasting away without any performance problems, although now that you mention it, I do see a few of the syncing errors.

Please update when the print screen and paste functionality returns!
  • edited March 28, 2022
    I agree with jakefly’s opinion, grabbing an image and pasting it into notes is the most frequently operate in my research work. Please do something to save us. As far as I know, many users of Zotero in China are also complaining about this problem, They feedback in a Chinese forum named Baidu Post bar, and they thought this upgrade destroyed one of the best functions of Zotero. I think the biggest advantage or difference from Zotero with other note software such as endnote or NoteExpress etc is freedom and free($), I am very sincerely grateful for all of your efforts to Zotero so I think Zotero should supply options to paste the picture easily like before.
  • Thanks, w312038509. Yes this change is really throwing me off my game. Before, I just used Zotero and it helped me work more efficiently. Now since the update, and getting rid of a very, VERY helpful "fluke", I'm spending more time looking for a quick workaround, when I should be getting work done!
  • You can select an area (such as a figure or picture) within Zotero's PDF reader, and drag that into an existing note? If you are working with PDFs (as most academics do), this is a very useful and new feature, and fully supported in Zotero 6. No need to take screenshots of parts of academic papers anymore.
  • edited March 29, 2022
    I am a student. I am mainly working with .pptx files, .pdf, and the occasional live/zoom meeting. The real place where I was enjoying the screen grabs were with e-books I am accessing via Proquest. Unfortunately, the text copy-paste functionality in that platform is not very good. I liked screen grabbing the text because it would keep the formatting. Thanks for the advice though. This update has really thrown out my day to day. I really don't want to switch to Endnote because I like the look, feel and functionality of Zotero overall, but this may prove to be a dealbreaker.

Edited for a bit more clarity
  • edited March 31, 2022
    Now I have reused another software called: Joplin to make notes, it can easily grab images like Zotero before. I had given it up totally when I start to use Zotero, now after this update I have to reuse it.
  • We've restored the ability to paste images into notes on Windows in the latest Zotero beta, and if there are no problems it will be included in 6.0.5 soon. If you try the beta, let us know if you run into any trouble.
  • dstillman you are an absolute legend! I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Dstillman thanks!
  • @dstillman 6.0.5 can't come soon enough for me! I just did something usual from Windows snipping tool and then spent ages doing the obvious before ending up here. It's weird, all my favourite software has gone glitchy at the moment...
  • Another problem, It is seem like 6.0.5 can't adjust the size of the grabing picture in note , in former version we can adjust zoom ratio of the picture arbitrarily.