iOS App will not download/open PDFs on iPad despite

I can open and annotate PDFs on my computer Zotero just fine. In my Zotero preferences under sync, I have selected to sync attachment files in My Library using Zotero, and to download files at sync time. I also have the "sync automatically" and "sync full-text content" boxes checked.

On the ipad side of things, the app downloaded just fine, logging in to my Zotero account was fine, and it downloaded all of the reference data just fine, but all of the attachment icons have either an exclamation or question mark over them. When I try to open one I get "Error. The attached file could not be found."

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I am desperate to be able to annotate Zotero PDFs on my ipad, and be able to smoothly sync those same PDFs to my computer. Thank you very much and please let me know if you need more information.
  • So since posting this I've tried deleting the add-on "ZotFile" from my zotero apps and now the PDFs are downloading successfully. Not sure if these things are truly connected but if you have Zotfile and can go without it, this may be something to try.
  • Linked files aren't available on iOS, so if you had ZotFile set to create linked files, they wouldn't sync.
  • Well, the ios version is then useless for me.
  • Hello, may I ask what is the best way to read PDFs on IOS? Sync attachments via WebDAV?
  • @fallingstars: The iOS app supports Zotero Storage and WebDAV. We recommend Zotero Storage for the most smoothest experience, including access to files via the online library.
  • Thank you. I couldn't use Zotero Storage to sync, probably because my storage (2G) was full. So I moved all my attachments from the last half-year using zotfile to my icloud before I realized linked files cannot work on IOS... Is there a way to restore my attachments to the original file folds of Zotero Storage on my laptop?
  • I found the way to convert some of my linked files to the stored files, so the IOS sync works now!
  • (For others, it's Tools → Manage Attachments → Convert Linked Files to Stored Files.)
  • Could you please explain more clear how to convert it? There is no tools settings on ipad or I couldn't find it.
  • @enurayy: You have to convert the files in the desktop app, where the files actually exist.