Massive Bug - Word Integration - Zotero PlugIn outdated?!

When in Word I click on "Add/Edit Citation" there shows up a window saying "The Zotero plugin for Microsoft Word is outdated. Reinstall the plugin from Preferences → Cite → Word Processors." I tried what it says but it does not work. By trying to install the Microsoft Word Add-In there is another malfunction window saying there were an error and I should make sure that Word is closed and to start Zotero again. Well I did that a couple of times and it changes nothing.

I cannot cite right now it's massive problem. I am really short on time at the moment and need this program to work! Can anybody help?

I am running Windows 10, 64 Bit; Office Version 18.2110.13110.0
Zotero Version 6.0.2 (whereas in Windows Apps and Features it says it's Zotero Version 5.0.96.3) and yeah, don't know what other information you could need. Just let me know.
  • Security software on your computer is likely blocking Zotero from updating the plugin. See the manual installation instructions.
  • Prompted to update Word plugin today, I first carried out the automatic update. Result: no Zotero toolbar shows up in Word; its not listed, those from other apps are listed. When trying to do manual update, I found that the new zotero.dotm file is actually there in the Word startup, with today's date. Did computer restart, still no Zotero toolbar. Specs: Windows 7, Office 2003. (I noticed in the manual instructions, that the name of the old plugin was called "“Microsoft Word 97-2003 Template (.dot)” - the new one isn't. Does this mean the new plugin does not work with Word 2003 anymore? I just hope not - I really need the toolbar urgently! Please help! Any workaround? Thanks.
  • Yes, Office 2003 support has been discontinued for a while. You can download the .dot template here https://github.com/zotero/zotero-word-for-windows-integration/raw/94d3b8ec200718064aa95723860135e8ce63c78e/install/Zotero.dot but we don't guarantee it will work now or in the future.
  • Thanks Adomasven for the quick response. The dot template does work for now anyway Should I stop Zotero from automatic updates to keep it working for the time being? How do I do that? Thank you!
  • No, do not disable automatic Zotero updates as you won't get bugfixes and security patches in the future. We rarely update the Word plugin, so Zotero updates won't remove Zotero.dot for you and if they ever do, you can always just put this file back in. Unfortunately we cannot add a change that would stop removing Zotero.dot - for most users that file is useless and is taking up space and it's our responsibility to clean it up if possible.
  • Thanks for this advice. By the way, what is now the earliest version of Word with which the new Word plugin is compatible?
  • Hola! yo también instale la actualización del complemento, y no me ha funcionado esta completamente bloqueado y verifique y todo esta correcto, simplemente a mi no me funciona, quisiera saber si alguien tiene la ruta para instalar el complemento anterior que si me funcionaba perfecto, la verdad también me urge que estoy realizando un trabajo. Quisiera saber si es la que compartio asomasven, gracias!!
  • Thanks @dstillman for the quick reply. The manual installation instructions seem to have worked!
  • Hello! I also installed the update of the add-on, and I have not worked is completely blocked and check and everything is correct, just to me it does not work, I would like to know if anyone has the path to install the previous add-on that if I worked perfect, the truth also urges me I'm doing a job. I would like to know if it is the one shared by @adomasven, thanks!