Word integration fails after update plugin

edited March 22, 2022
report ID: 77695387

Word claims that Zotero-plugin is outdated. After reinstall Zotero-plugin: "Word cannot open this document template" (c:\users\...\Zotero.dotm)

After OK Word starts without Zotero-tab

In Word options Add-ins: Zotero.dotm is shown under the Inactive Add-ins. After following
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/how-do-i-activate-an-inactive-add-in/b4184bd4-b86b-4771-9b0c-cfa52bc0cc97

I get the identical message: Cannot open Zotero.dotm
In Word options Add-ins: two Zotero.dotm are shown under the Inactive Add-ins.
(after repeat: 3)

In C:\Users\...\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates: no Zotero.dotm present
c:\Users\...\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\:
Zotero.dotm 39 k 18-03-2022 12:30 -a--
~$Zotero.dotm 0 k 23-01-2019 15:39 -ah-
  • fixed by manually deleting ~$Zotero.dotm
  • Looks like you had some old empty temporary file from 2019 that was breaking things.
  • Same problem here. Delted the file mentioned by @stroom. I also followed the trouble shooting regarding the plugin by looking for the zotero.dotm file in the word auto startup folder, which is there. Any idea how to get rid of that warning? As i have searche for "outdated" in the forum it seems to me, some more people have the same problem like me.
  • @superheldinnr1: Security software on your computer is likely blocking Zotero from updating the plugin. See the manual installation instructions.
  • unluckily this problem returned. No ~$Zotero.dotm anywhere.
    - Deleted the Zotero.dotm from startup and reinstalled from Zot-prefs -> no solution

From the Manual install instructions:
    "3 Find your Word startup folder and copy the path to the clipboard:
    In the Word ribbon, click the File tab, click Options, and then click Advanced.
    Under General, click File Locations. The current Startup folder should be listed. "

My File locations is greyed..
    Tried Word in Run as admin, same problem, cannot open template, no Zotero in Word
  • ps.
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install\Zotero.dotm 49 k 22-03-2022 19:56 -a--
    c:\Users\Stroom01\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\Zotero.dotm 49 k 22-03-2022 19:56 -a--
  • turns out that File location is only grey if no document is open. So I could follow the steps in the manual. Path was ok, dotm files seem to be in the right folders
  • Same problem here: startup path is fine, and dotm file is in right place, but citing from Word does not work.
  • @hdf: You'd have to say more. We need the exact problem you're experiencing and a Report ID.

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
  • Word options - Add-ins - Inactive add-ins: enabled the inactive template Zotero.dotm
    Closing Word, re-opening: no message, Zotero-tab available.
    Closing Zotero, opening Word: all ok.
  • closing Word: same problem returned-> "Word cannot open this document template" (c:\users\...\Zotero.dotm)
    again Word options - Add-ins - Inactive add-ins: enabled the inactive template Zotero.dotm: again "Word cannot open this document template" (c:\users\...\Zotero.dotm).
    So I had it running for some minutes, now the issue is back again ;(
  • also encountered the same issue on my work computer. our IS department suspects the same thing that @dstillman said: security software possibly blocking the plugin update. our IS tried deleting the .dotm file and i tried reinstalling the plugin. when they delete that file, i have no way to cite with Zotero; when i reinstall the plugin, i get the error message that's been mentioned in related posts.

has anyone reported a similar issue while their computer is using different security software (McAfee, Norton, etc.)? work & personal computers use Defender; i can't use Zotero in Word at work, but everything's just fine on the personal.
  • @traceyfromkc: Are you running Zotero 6.0.3?
  • oh, it's up to 6.0.3 now? i just updated to 6.0.2 this morning. i'll check for updates shortly.
  • edited March 24, 2022
    just updated to 6.0.3, and i'm still getting the "Word cannot open this document template. (C:\...\Zotero.dotm)" error message. plus, the Zotero tab is missing in Word, but when i go to the Zotero software to push the plugin installation, it says that the plugin is installed. it doesn't let me uninstall, only reinstall.

(this is on my work computer, where i don't have admin rights. i can try this later on my home computer.)
  • edited March 24, 2022
    "same thing that @dstillman said: security software possibly blocking the plugin update. " I do not understand: in my case recent updating seems to go well, Zotero.dotm is recent. But Word seems to block it
    I'm on a work laptop as well, with admin rights, and on 6.0.3

edit: or do you mean that security software might be blocking the updated version of the dotm? So there's something new in the code of the updated dotm that security/Word won't tolerate?
  • @stroom, @traceyfromkc: If you're still getting "Word cannot open this document template" after manually copying Zotero.dotm and restarting Word, what Windows version and Word version?

Your IT department might be restricting loading of templates to specific files, so you should ask them. Word needs the ability to load the template file. You can also try double-clicking on the .dotm file within Startup, but that's only for testing.
  • OS 10.0.19041
    word: Word for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2203 Build 16.0.15028.20070) 32-bit

opening dotm: "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges." Same message as admin

and after several blocks & closing/opening Word: tried to open dotm again, suddenly no problem. Zotero tab active. For now ;)
  • edited March 24, 2022
    but then opening existing docx or new docx: no error, but also no Zotero-tab ;( . So only the file which is created opening the dotm has active Zotero
  • edited March 24, 2022
    I think you'll need to talk to your IT department. It's a standard, digitally signed .dotm. If it's present in the Startup folder, it should be loaded automatically at startup. And the fact that the problem is intermittent sounds like a problem with your Word installation.
  • If that's the case I probably have a serious problem. I'm not so sure our IT is willing to fix this... They are in a security-frenzy
    workaround: I was able to copy the content of a document including Zotero-refs to that one file that opened the dotm. But it's messy: 1) hoping to be able to manually open the dotm, 2) cutting/pasting large docs.. not nice
    anyway tnx for your support.
  • No no no — you don’t use the plugin by opening the .dotm file. As I said, that was just for testing.

If you’ve saved changes to the .dotm, make sure you revert the Startup copy to the original version from the installation files.
  • I know, but the workaround is to misuse the opening of dotm (which once in a while works without the dotm-opening-error, so Zotero.dotm is alive and kicking): then copying Word/document content to that file, and than saving that file to another name. Then I can work on this file including Zotero functionality. As long as I do not close the file I'm fine. Although formatting (original file compared to copied file) might be an issue.
    Without corrupting dotm itself (as long as I do not forget to rename)
  • @dstillman: isn't it strange that this happened just after upgrading to Zotero 6? And also the Zotero.dotm has a datestamp of 2022-03-22. Is it for sure a Word/security issue or might it be related to the updates?
  • I have discovered that Zotero.dotm is triggering the Microsoft Defender optional Attack Surface Reduction rule "Block Win32 API calls from Office macros". If this rule is enabled and in Block Mode, then this will prevent the file from loading. Other AV products may have similar protections in place.

The Zotero.dotm file imports various functions from kernel32.dll, including:
    - WideCharToMultiByte
    - RtlMoveMemory
    This will certainly trigger the rule.

These functions should be replaced with some equivalent code that avoids calling into kernel32.dll.