iOS: Can't download files via WebDAV

This discussion was created from comments split from: iOS App will not download/open PDFs on iPad despite.
  • I am having the same issue with the ios app on my iphone. I have Zotero 6 set up to sync files via WebDav. However, in the app, I have put in the WebDav info and verified server. However, pdf files don't download or open in the app.
  • edited March 23, 2022
    Can you provide a Debug ID for trying to download a file?
  • D1127510521
  • Hi @walker9, if possible, could you make a quick video (screen recording) of what's going on? In logs I can only see you cancelled the download.

Can you please try to:
    1. Start screen recording
    2. Start debug logging
    3. Try to download some PDF
    4. When it fails stop debug logging and stop screen recording
    5. Post debug id and video here or send it to support@zotero.org

Thanks!
  • I’m having the same problem. D399561558.
  • @nha4601: There doesn't appear to be an attempt to open a file in there. You should follow the same steps Michal gives above.
  • edited March 27, 2022
    @nha4601: OK, got your email. We'll investigate, thanks.
  • Yes- I didn’t try to open the file since it/they don’t download properly. I have a few files that did download, but now I can’t get any new ones to download on iOS. I am using the same webDAV server to sync between two computers. Sometimes I have to sync twice, but all files are downloaded successfully.

Thank you for the help!
  • I believe am havign the same issues as @nha4601. Zotero on my ipad downloaded 3 files and then stopped downloading files entirely.

I synced my data to a spare laptop to test the webdav, the entire library synced quickly. So I dont think the issue is with my webdav server.

It was working flawlessley a few days ago, then it just stopped. I have removed and reinstalled the app. Still broken.

Sometimes I get a small exclamation icon on the download circle icon that says that the file cannot be found.

Can I assist on troubleshooting at all?
  • @seth.lester: Can you also provide a Debug ID for trying to open a PDF?
  • edited March 28, 2022
    I might also add that when I go to my Web Library in Zotero website, I also cannot download pdf files. However, if I upload a pdf in Web Library, I can download that one.

When I sync my Zotero library on another laptop, I am able to download pdfs there. So, the issue is with ios and the Zotero website Web Library.
  • Just noticed that MOST, but not ALL files sync between two computers. Still no progress on iOS.
  • I also have the same issues. Zotero on my ipad cannot download any files through webdav. When I clicked 'View PDF' or 'Download', the loading bar just doesn't move during a long time, and sometimes it will show as 'The attached file could not be found'.
    I used Teracloud to sync files, and it works well with my two PC and even my Android phone(using zoo for zotero).
  • edited March 31, 2022
    Same here. Debug log id D1633878007. In very few cases, I can download a file but fail most of the time. There is a yellow exclamation mark in the end telling me the file cannot be found.
    Edit: I realized I didn't wait until the download terminates in the previous log. However when I tried again, it cannot terminate after over 20 minutes. The debug id this time is D946230576.
  • edited March 31, 2022
    We've fixed a number of issues with file syncing in the latest beta version. If you'd like to test it, you can join the new TestFlight beta group:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/Rjyua6Mq

You can reinstall the release version from the App Store at any time.
  • D519612568
    I can't connect webdav even the url, username, passwd are right. test in another app in ipad.
  • @watcherman: You have to use HTTPS to connect to non-local WebDAV servers in the iOS app due to iOS security restrictions.
  • but it's successed in another app such as infuse, es file browser. Maybe there is a way to fix it?
  • Have the same issue. Files are downloaded without a problem on my iPad but have no luck on my iPhone.
  • same here. working on ipad but not on iphone.
  • edited July 16, 2022
    @gcarlet: There's no difference between iPad and iPhone here. As noted above, you have to use HTTPS to connect to non-local WebDAV servers in the iOS app. If that's not the issue for you, please start a new thread with a Debug ID.
  • it's successed in another app such as infuse, es file browser. Maybe there is a way to fix it?
    @watcherman: It's possible to request a special exemption from Apple to allow an app to connect insecurely to arbitrary domains, but they warn that it may trigger additional App Store review. Given that Zotero's own syncing and the vast majority of WebDAV syncing is to HTTPS domains, and given the ease of setting up certificates via Let's Encrypt these days, and given the importance of encrypted connections in general, we're not inclined to apply for an exemption. (A tool whose entire purpose is to connect to arbitrary URLs is in a bit of different situation.)
  • I can't use iPad Zotero link my HTTP webdav, can't verify my account, can't read my library's PDF, but at my Mac book, at other iPad APP ,it's Ok, who's know why?please!
  • edited July 28, 2022
    @chewier: As explained above, you have to use HTTPS, not HTTP, for a WebDAV server in the iOS app. If you're using HTTPS and still having trouble, start a new thread and provide a Debug ID for an attempt to verify the server.
  • edited July 28, 2022
    how can I use http otherwise https webdav in iPad app for Zotero ?because I don't have ssl
  • I'm currently jumping through the hoops now to set up SSL on my WebDAV (I couldn't get the desktop client to play nicely *with* SSL, but to get iOS working, I'll poke more into it). I understand the restrictions on iOS, but if that's the case, perhaps the UI should not offer non-secure HTTP as an option the way it currently does. (The error could also be a little more informative in that case.)
  • edited September 6, 2022
    perhaps the UI should not offer non-secure HTTP as an option
    HTTP can be used for addresses on the local network.
  • WebDAV Issues:

I am using a local NAS (QNAP) as my WebDAV server using Let's Encrypt.

windows 11 desktop on my local network
    I can connect to my WebDAV server using HTTP without a problem.
    I cannot connect to my WebDAV server using HTTPS. When I try, I get the following error.

"An error occurred during a connection to djtl.myqnapcloud.com:5501. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG"

Zotero Ipad on my local network
    I cannot connect to my WebDAV server using HTTP or HTTPS. When I try, I get the following error.

Could not connect to WebDAV server.

As I write this, I was able to solve the problem. Although my Zotero desktop can connect to WebDAV using both IP address 192.xxx and the DNS URL myqnapcloudxxx using both the port for HTTP 5000 and HTTPS 5001. I could finally connect the Zotero Ipad app to my WebDAV server using my local IP address 192.xxx and the local HTTP port 5000.

Hope that helps someone.