Zotero Word-Plugin outdated despite reinstallation

Hi,

yesterday I updated Zotero on iOS to Version 6.0. Since then, the Word-Plugin doesn't work:

I press on the Zotero Tab, click "Add/Edit Citation" and get the following Warning: The Zotero plugin for Microsofort Word is outdated. Reinstall the plugin from Preferences => Cite => Word Processors".

I open Settings and click on "install Microsoft Word Add-IN again". Then, I get the message: "The zotero plugin has been successfully installed but Word must be restarted before it can be used."

When I restart Word, the same thing happens over and over again.

I have tried to manually copy the zotero.dotm file to the Word Startup Folder, that didn't change anything.

I use Microsoft Word for Mac Version 16.59.

Thanks in advance!
  • I use a non-english Word Version, if that matters
  • Do you see an "Add Note" button in Word? If not, the plugin is not installing correctly. It might be worth it to reinstall Zotero completely and then retry reinstalling the Word plugin.
  • I don't, but I don't think that there ever was an Add Note button in my word and I have used Zotero for 2 years now.
  • The "Add note" button is new with 6.0, so if the word addon was installed correctly you would see that button now. That's why adomasven asked.
  • oh okay, thank you! When I reinstall Zotero completely, will I lose the linked citations in my document? How can I make sure that doesn't happen?
  • No. We wouldn't recommend something that would wipe out your data.
  • edited March 22, 2022
    The same issue with my pc:
    The Zotero plugin for Microsofort Word is outdated. Reinstall the plugin from Preferences => Cite => Word Processors".

I have tried to delete and reinstall Zotero and have also disabled/enabled word plugin severalt times , restarted the pc. I have also checked that the zotero.dotm is no disabled in the word exctensions settings. Any ideas what to try next? It works as a charm on my mac but since I teach Zotero to students I need it to work on both:)
    (the pc is my workcomputer, so maybe some restrictions kicks in?)
  • @Annebritingholm: Have you done what it says? It says to reinstall the plugin from the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences. It doesn't say to do any of the other things you listed.
  • If you open Zotero.dotm manually do you see an "Add Note" button? If so, are you sure you are correctly placing it in Word's startup folder? If not, did you completely remove and reinstall Zotero by downloading it from zotero.org/download ?
  • Yes @dstillman I have tried to reinstall the plugin from the cite--> Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences. I was automatically sent there from the error message that appeard in word, so I tried that first (several times actually). Sorry I wasnt more clear about that in my previous post
  • @adomasven The "add note" button is not there. As to wether or not the Zotero.dotm is correctly placed I do not know. That is a bit over my technical understanding:)
    I have checked in the settings for words that there is a zotero.dotm and that its not disabled or inactive in the word settings.

I have completely removed Zotero from my programs and downloaded it again from Zotero.org.
  • Just to confirm, you should be opening the Zotero.dotm file from the Zotero installation location, not from your Word startup folder. If you tried to manually install the Zotero.dotm file, are you sure you moved the file from Zotero installation location to Word startup folder and not the other way around?
  • edited March 25, 2022
    This is what happens when we open word after moving the dotm file to the word startup folder

C:\Users\annei\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Error message: Can not open document template.

We also tried downloading the dotm. file from github.

Any suggestions?

• Talk to your IT department. This seems like some sort of restriction on their end.