The Zotero plugin for Microsoft Word is outdated. Reinstall the plugin.

edited March 20, 2022
Hello
I just got this warning in Zotero: "The Zotero plugin for Microsoft Word is outdated. Reinstall the plugin".

Im writing my bachelor thesis and now im really afraid that it will unlink my citations in the word or delete my zotero bibliography.

What can i do and why is it outdated? Did someone also receive this warning?

Thanks a lot.
Elena
  • Restart Word.

If you continue to get the message, close Word and reinstall the Word plugin from the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences. If you get an error, you'll need to follow the manual installation instructions.
  • Same issue here.
  • Same answer.
  • edited March 20, 2022
    So...just letting the OP know that they are not the only one having this issue.

Also, we both share the same concern. I have already tried to reinstall the Word plugin from Zotero. If I uninstall and reinstall Zotero, will my linked references be lost? I'm at the tail end of a manuscript (deadline today) and my father is dying, so I really don't have time to mess around. If your reply is going to be snarky, please do not respond at all. I'll reach out to someone else at Zotero.

Thanks!
  • edited March 20, 2022
    It wasn't snark — I meant literally that you should follow the exact same steps. I'm trying to help you fix the problem, and just repeating that you're having the same problem without saying what you've tried gives us absolutely no way of helping you further.

Reinstalling Zotero won't affect your data, but no one is saying to do that, and I would strongly advise you to just work with us to help you fix the problem instead of trying drastic things on your own that we haven't recommended.

If you'd like to resolve this, you'll need to take the time to explain what exactly you've tried, in your own words, and what happened.
  • As my previous post states, I tried to reinstall the plugin through Zotero and now I get this message: Zotero Integration Error "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

In following the instructions for manual installation, I found the folder: extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install. the Zotero.docm file is there. It's 40 KB. Start-up folder path does not include Zotero.

I am now on step 4 under 'Word for Windows". If I follow the instructions that follow, will I lose the links to citations in my current documents?
  • edited March 21, 2022
    @dr.jackalope: If you're no longer getting the message that the plugin is outdated, you should start a new thread and provide a description of your current problem, along with a Report ID.
  • @dstillman but why does it show that its outdadet? why does this happen? can i also stay with zotero 5 or do i have to switch to zotero 6? i really dont want so switch
  • @dstillman and are you from the zotero team?
  • @elena.cassani: Have you restarted Word?

It would say it's outdated if Zotero wasn't able to update the plugin in Word since the Zotero 6 update. Normally restarting Word should be sufficient, but if something on your system (e.g., security software) prevented the update, you might need to follow the manual installation instructions.

This is a simple fix, and there's no reason to stay on Zotero 5, which is no longer supported and which will stop syncing and receiving site-compatibility updates.
  • edited March 21, 2022
    @dstillman yes now i just restarted, it didnt show up again no, thanks.
    No i just really dont want to switch to Zotero 6. I just want to use Zotero 5 for two more months and they anyway after my thesis i wont use zotero anymore
  • edited March 21, 2022
    What do you mean by "didn't show up again"? Meaning the error is gone? Is it working now?

Unless you're having some problem in Zotero 6 that's preventing you from working, it's much more trouble to downgrade and prevent updates than to just continue using it.
  • Hi, I had the same problem. Maybe everyone already tried this but when I tried to reinstall the plugin automatically it said an error occurred and I had to close word. I thought the window when I had to click install for the plugin was part of word but it wasn't (?) so I close word and the window for clicking install the plugin was still open, so I click install again and then it was successfully installed!