safari connector taking a very long time to add papers

Happens quite often that when clicking on the safari connector button it takes anywhere between 15-60 seconds for a paper to be added to zotero. I also get error messages such as:

"An error occurred saving with arXiv.org. Attempting to save using Embedded Metadata instead."

I’m not familiar with under-the-hood functioning of the connector but might there be services underlying its functioning which would have problems right now?
  • edited March 18, 2022
    Can you provide a Debug ID from the connector for a save that's taking a long time or that gives an error?
  • absolutely ; just tried again on the same paper and there was no delay/error msg (it’s intermittent) but I’ll try again for subsequent papers & post the debug ID here

thanks!
  • Are these arXiv entries for published (in journals/proceedings) articles? We make an extra request to CrossRef for those and their API may sometimes not work; we can look to make sure it fails more elegantly though)
  • if I recall the delays/errors I’m seeing aren’t restricted to arXiv but I’ll try to notice in the next few days
  • @adamsmith can I just leave connector logging turned on? the delays are intermittent (e.g. today, no problem in sight) so it’s a bit unpredictable
  • @adamsmith here’s a paper that not only causes the connector to wait for a long time but also fails to get added to zotero

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fgene.2022.895689/full

turning on debugging in the safari connector i got this debug id: D833468622
  • Thanks -- that's a bug, so helpful to get reported, but very specific to Frontiers: We're looking for the "Export Citation" button you see e.g. on this article https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fgene.2022.832677/full and if it's not there, the translator fails silently. It obviously shouldn't do that. CC @AbeJellinek who (re)wrote the translator.

The fact that the saving bubble stays up is just an artifact of how Zotero interprets the lack of an error messages: it actually only takes about a second for the operation to complete.
  • Thanks, I’ll take a look.
  • Just pushed a fix. Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.
  • @AbeJellinek still doesn’t work, even after manually updating the translators
  • Try Reset Translators in the Connector preferences (not Zotero preferences) and let me know if that does the trick.
  • still not working

clicking on those buttons does not seem to do anything (no confirmation that I’ve done anything after clicking, etc.)
  • Try updating translators from the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, and then do the same from the Zotero Connector preferences.

If it's still not working after that, we'd want to see a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for loading the page and trying to save.
  • tried again, didn’t work

D882434124
  • @alexcr87: OK, sorry about that. There was a problem with recently updated translators not getting properly pushed, so you just still had the outdated version. What we said above now applies — your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences. If you're still having trouble, update translators manually in Zotero and then do the same in the Connector.
  • manually updating worked this time

thank you!