Zotero frozen while heavily active - killing by task manager advisable?

When entering a search term with a splint on my hand I accidentally somehow entered a special character, an o with a tilde on top like in Portuguese language. Thereafter Zotero froze and cannot be closed either. At the beginning the syncing symbol was rotating, but now it has stopped and still nothing can be done.
I checked in the task manager - Zotero uses 12% CPU, 403 MB RAM, and shows high - very high energy consumption. ????
What does that indicate?
Would killing Zotero with the task manager ruin something?
Advice?
  • You can kill it.
  • Thanks for the advice. I had left it alone for several hours. Now I checked your reply and then Zotero - the frozen state had melted again and everything worked as usual. But good to know for the future that killing it won't ruin anything irreversibly.
  • In general it's still something you should avoid — if Zotero is writing to disk when you force-quit it, it's not impossible that the database could get corrupted, though in theory anything short of a power failure during a write operation should be OK. But here, where there was seemingly some sort of a hang while doing a search, it was unlikely to cause problems.