move local directory from C drive to another drive

I have a small (117 GB) solid state drive designated as the C drive (Windows System drive). I try to put my user files on my more capacious D drive where I have 1Terabyte. When I selected "show file" today, I found the Zotero directory on the C drive, which is concerning for me. Is there some way I can instruct Zotero to create and synchronize to a different drive?
  • You can change your Zotero data directory from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences.

Once you've selected the new location and confirmed that all your data and files are present, I would recommend deleting the new folder in the default location to avoid future confusion.
  • I assume you mean "I would recommend deleting the OLD folder in the default location"?
    Thank you for advice.
  • I followed instructions and successfully moved my Zotero directory.

I would add that there were two directories that needed to be changed. One, called "data", seems to contain the entire Zotero user database, the subject of my query. The second, "linked files", I am inferring, holds actual documents (to what the data links). Anyone needing to move the directory might create these new directories before opening Zotero and following the instructions given above. (Do I want to find and copy the "linked files" also?)

Since reassignment of the directory requires the user to copy Zotero database from the old location to the new location, why not just perform the copy operation before entering the preferences dialog?

Finally, here is the location of this preference:
    Edit>preferences>advanced>files and folders.

Thank you again for your help.
  • I assume you mean "I would recommend deleting the OLD folder in the default location"?
    No — you moved your data directory from the default location to a new location, but since you didn't change the settings, Zotero created a new folder in the default location. I'm saying you should delete that new, empty data directory.
    I would add that there were two directories that needed to be changed.
    The Zotero data directory and the linked attachment base directory are totally separate, and moving the data directory has nothing to do with moving the linked attachment base directory. The latter is only relevant if you're using linked files.
    Since reassignment of the directory requires the user to copy Zotero database from the old location to the new location, why not just perform the copy operation before entering the preferences dialog?
    I don't know what you mean by "before entering the preferences dialog". You can't move the data directory while Zotero is open. Zotero doesn't move it for you because moving a potentially huge folder with thousands of files is something that should be done by the OS, which can do it much more safely, reliably, and efficiently than an individual app.
  • I am a novice and appreciate the help you have given. I don't want to add confusion. I just want to clarify what I meant for the benefit of people who need to do what I wanted to do.

It seems I did not follow your procedure exactly, because I never needed to delete a new directory. I just made a new directory where I wanted it, named "Zotero", entered Edit>preferences>advanced>files and folders, and told Zotero where to look for my data files. Zotero was then looking at an empty folder, which was a little scary. Then I closed Zotero, copied my data files over to the new folder, and then re-started Zotero, which then recognized all of my data in the new location. Naturally at this point I would not delete the new folder, but the old folder. I don't know where I deviated from the path you suggested, but it seemed to work. I am glad it did, since I obviously don't know how to follow instructions.
  • What I was suggesting, or asking, is whether I might have simply copied my data directory from the old location to the new location, and then simply told Zotero (Edit>preferences>advanced>files and folders) to look in the new location.

Usually (in most examples of application specific files and folders that I have worked with) a simple copy and paste operation does not suffice, but as you said, Zotero can't be expected to perform the copy operation. So I am grateful it is happy when I perform the copy in my native OS.
  • What I was suggesting, or asking, is whether I might have simply copied my data directory from the old location to the new location, and then simply told Zotero (Edit>preferences>advanced>files and folders) to look in the new location.
    Yes. But you don't particularly need to copy your entire Zotero data directory — you can just move it. It doesn't really matter in the case of moving to another drive, but if just moving to another location on the same disk copying would be much slower than moving. And if you moved first, Zotero would then create a new empty folder in the default location before you told it to use the new location.

Another approach would be to create a new empty folder in the new location, point Zotero there, move the files from the old folder to the new folder, and then delete the empty old folder.

There are various ways to do it, but it doesn't really matter. In one order or another, you just need to have all your files in the new location and to have Zotero pointing at that location, and you want to make sure there are no extra folders around to confuse you later.
  • Interesting distinction between moving and copying. (I have supposed that when moving a file from one directory to another on the same disk that the system merely re-addressed the file.) So anyone reading this discussion might want to know I needed to copy because, to save space on my precious solid state drive, the point was to re-move the folder from its location and put it on another drive.

It seems like this distinction contributed to the confusion. I might have been using the terms "move" and "copy" as synonyms. I'm sorry if I did.

Thank you for your attention to the education of a random user of Zotero. I hope this discussion is useful to others, in the future.