Zotero takes AGES in long document

Hi there,
I am editing my PhD thesis, which, naturally, is very long in pages. I have purposefully put it in several different documents, knowing that zotero works incredibly slow. But now, in a 150page doc it takes up to 3 minutes to insert a quotation. I will eventually have to merge all chapters into one long doc -- any tipps as to how to speed up the quotation process?
Thanks in advance!
  • What OS, what word processor and version?
  • You can turn off automatic updates and then only hit refresh every so often or before finishing for the day.

Are you on Mac or PC? It generally runs very much slower on Mac, so when you're getting ready to hand in you can always render the citations on a PC.
  • I am using Mac OS Catalina and word for mac 16.58
  • But what if I am changing something in the footnotes, it wont be updated then? That would be bad.
  • Disabling automatic citation updates makes Zotero not update other citations in your document that may need altering (e.g. if you cite the same item twice). As long as you hit refresh before submitting your document all citations will get updated to be correct at that time. It's an absolutely safe way to speed up document updates.