Beta: New keyboard navigation

Testing the new keyboard navigation from https://github.com/zotero/zotero/pull/2317 using 6.0-beta.4+a7cf689df

Thanks for working on this:
A couple of questions/notes:
1. I'm not able to get into the Info pane at all, nor am I able toggle between notes and info pane. Getting to the info pane was possible before the update
2. I couldn't find a way to get to a different open tab with keyboard
3. The menu shortcuts on Windows (alt+e, alt+v etc.) seem like they stop working once I've used any other keyboard navigation in the PDF view

Absolutely possible I'm missing something, but played around with it for a while and couldn't make these work. (I figured you'd want this here rather than on github?)
  • 1. I'm not able to get into the Info pane at all, nor am I able toggle between notes and info pane. Getting to the info pane was possible before the update
    In the PDF reader, you mean? That's a technical limitation (the PDF reader is in its own iframe) that we haven't yet worked around.

(Keyboard navigation in the PDF reader before this change was barely functional — you could get to the right-hand pane eventually but not in a predictable or useful way. Now nearly everything except for the right-hand pane should be accessible via the keyboard.)
    2. I couldn't find a way to get to a different open tab with keyboard
    The main window tabs? That hasn't changed — we've supported all standard tab shortcuts since last summer. List is here. We could make them part of the tab navigation but it wouldn't really add anything.
    3. The menu shortcuts on Windows (alt+e, alt+v etc.) seem like they stop working once I've used any other keyboard navigation in the PDF view
    I'll let @martynas_b look into that.
  • @adamsmith
    Are there any other keyboard shortcuts that you would expect to work in this situation, or it's only about alt+something combinations?
  • I'd expect relevant global shortcuts to work -- so in addition to opening the top menus via alt+sth, mostly ctrl+w and ctrl+tab (which look like they still work)
  • For the other issue:
    I do think 1) is unfortunate and it'd be worth considering adding a shortcut to get to the right (which I'm guessing would be possible even within the iframe?)-- the toggle between notes & info pane seems a very important feature in the PDF reader view.

2) I just didn't look for the right shortcut to toggle tabs, thanks for the link.
  • We've added keyboard access to the right-hand pane in the latest beta.
  • Not urgent :)
    I just ran into not-a-bug with what is presumably a clash of keyboard shortcuts with new v6 commands hiding my choices in zutilo.

Is there a new list of keyboard shortcuts, particularly changes from v5 ?