labels for CSL field "collection-number"

Hi,

short question:

I am using the zotero field "Series Number" to store volume number of a series, e.g. "Amsterdam Studies in Linguistics, vol. 2".

I know this filed translates to "collection-number" in CSL. However, I don't seem to be able to set a label for it that is sensitive to multiple numbers being stored in this field. Can this be done?

My code is:

<if variable="collection-title">
<group delimiter=", ">
<text variable="collection-title" text-case="title"/>
<group delimiter=" ">
<label variable="volume" form="short" plural="contextual"/>
<number variable="collection-number" form="numeric"/>
</group>
</group>
</if>

This does add a "vol." in front of the number, but it doesn't change with multiple entries.
Same with<label variable="number"/>. It only prints nr. in front of the first number, but no pluralization with multiple entries.
Inicidentally, I also noticed that when I switch to German, it exchanges "vol." with "Bd.", which is fine, but has nothing for "nr.". Is that intentional that there is no number label for German?

Using adequately defined text terms also didn't help - it does chose the plural forms provied.

I suspect the "collection-number field" is set to include only one entry, or at least that is how the "label" reads? In this case, I guess the easiest is to just fill the zotero field with the adequate info, such as "vols. 24, 26 and 28"?

Many thanks,
Daniel
  • collection-number isn’t a “number” variable in CSL 1.0.1, so it can’t be called with “label”. That has changed in CSL 1.0.2, which will be available in Zotero in the near future.

For now, you can get “vol.” by using <text term="volume"/>.
  • Thanks for the info.
    I understand that in this case I won't be able to make it change to the plural in the case of multiple entires?

Like "vols. 29, 30 and 32" for example.
  • thanks for clarifying this! Much appreciated!
  • edited February 26, 2022
    I am trying to understand this behaviour. Shouldn't <text term="volume" plural="true"/> produce the plural independent of context and would thus allow the asked for feature? Writing my own CSL and using pandoc with citeproc indicates that this isn't how things work, but I am at a loss here.
  • edited February 28, 2022
  • edited February 26, 2022
    <text term="volume" plural="true"/>
    is perfectly fine. It's not what this thread is about, but if you want the plural of the volume term, that's what you would use. What's not working with that?

Edit: to clarify, the thread is about contextual behavior, which only exists for labels, not terms
  • edited February 27, 2022
    My suggestion was to use the <text term="volume" plural="true"/> as a work-around for what the original poster tried to achieve. But Zotero has now moved to CSL 1.0.2 and "collection-number" should now have the correct data type.
  • My original problem of @plural="true" was fixed by updating pandoc to the latest version