All plugins removed from Zotero-6.0-beta.1+c6d03753f

I tried reinstalling the current beta version and the plugins but to no avail. Also tried reverting to the latest backup zotero.sqlite but the problem still persists. Is a known fix available or, as last resort, can the beta version be roll-backed to the latest 5.x beta to restore the plugins ?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
  • You'd have to be more specific. Most of the popular plugins have been updated.
  • Dan, the plugin options accessed via the toolbar menu is empty other than the message "You haven't recently updated any add-ons. Check For Updates."

Re-installation of any of the .xpi plugins listed on the Zotero website (e.g., Zotero Report Customizer, Folder Import, etc.) returns the message "The add-on could not be installed. It may be incompatible with this version of Zotero."

Likewise, the Preference settings for style and Style Manager are blank.

I'm clueless as to what caused the problem and how to reset my Zotero installation to regain the previous full functionality, either of the new beta or the current stable release version.

Please advise, and thanks.

• Can you provide a Report ID?
    Zotero Report Customizer, Folder Import, etc.
    @emilianoeheyns can confirm, but I believe both of those should've been updated. If you're having trouble, uninstalling the plugins, restarting Zotero, and reinstalling them certainly should work.

All that happened here was that the beta went from a 5.0 version number to 6.0, so plugins had to be updated to indicate compatibility with the new version number.
    Likewise, the Preference settings for style and Style Manager are blank.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, and this might point to some other problem with your installation. Can you take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here?
  • I have a similar problem. I removed Zotero OCR 0.5.0 and Report Customizer v5.0.34 and restarted Zotero. Attempting to reinstall the plugins gave the message that they are incompatible with this version of Zotero.
    I reported the issue to the maintainer of Zotero-ocr.
  • report customizer wasn't updated but is now.
  • RE: Report # 226418568

The Preference settings for style and Style Manager reappeared after OS reboot (Win 7 x64) but the Plugin drop-down menu remains nonfunctional and the Timeline no longer works. The Error Console identifies a problem with the javascript but the other errors reported are inscrutable to me. Could the 6.0 beta update have been corrupted by the co-existing Profile of the 5.x stable install ?
  • edited February 20, 2022
    [JavaScript Error: "Zotero.Date.sqlToDate(...).toLocaleDateString is not a function" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/preferences/preferences_cite.js" line: 96}]
    We can fix this to at least display the list, but you have an invalid style that's missing an 'updated' property. You can reset styles from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences, or you can fix whatever custom style you have installed.
  • Thank you, Emiliano, and happy birthday for the ninth!
  • Thanks, you got close! It was the 8th :)
  • Dan, I already reset the styles preference and all other user preference to the default settings. The persisting problem is that the Addons menu does not function as a dropdown control for the display, removal, and update of the plugins. What could be causing that particular "glitch"?
  • The persisting problem is that the Addons menu does not function as a dropdown control for the display, removal, and update of the plugins.
    I don't know what you're referring to here. Can you take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here?
  • Dan, the error I'm referring to is the failure of the "Addon Menu" as shown in this screenshot (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Zotero_Add-ons_Manager_menu_item.png) to open the "Addon Manager" as shown in this screenshot (https://github.com/wshanks/Zutilo/issues/10).

Clicking the Addon Menu control on the Toolbar dropdown does nothing whatsoever and I can't identify the cause.

Hope the above clarifies the problem, at least with my installation of the latest Zotero 6.0-beta.
  • edited February 21, 2022
    There's something wrong with one or more of your plugins. Go to your Zotero profile directory and delete the 'extensions' folder and any files beginning with 'extensions', and then restart Zotero. You can then reinstall your plugins one by one.
  • No go (dammit). I deleted the extensions folder, extensions.ini, and extensions.json; then restarted Zotreo but the "Addon Menu" still does not open the "Addon Manager" to enable reinstalling the plugins.

What is the potential downside of removing both the stable and beta versions of Zotero and reinstalling from scratch?
  • Can you provide another Report ID?
  • Yes indeed. Report #771773903 is enroute.
    That still shows many extensions as installed. Make sure you close Zotero before deleting all 'extensions*' files in the profile folder.
  • Also delete addonStartup.json.lz4 if present.
  • Thumbs up! Deleting addonStartup.json.lz4 restored the Addon Manager. What, though, would cause the error message "Zotero Word for Windows Integration is incompatible with Zotero 6.0—beta.1+c6d03753f" ? I deleted the extensions folder containing the Zotero Word and LibreOffice plugins from the Program folder on the C: drive.

See incoming Report # 277614003.

• Try reinstalling from the Zotero beta page.
  • Will do, though should the existing Zotero program folders and data directories be removed first? I originally downloaded the 5.x-beta zip version to avoid overwriting the primary release installation, and the latest autoupdate to 6.0-beta might have caused the problem you kindly guided me to resolve - for which I'm much obliged !

• Just reinstall.
  • 10-4. And thanks again.
  • Report #2135349472

Reinstalled executable version of Zotero-6.0-beta but still unable to update Word plugin and any other plugin extensions as "incompatible" with current beta version.

What next step do you advise to troubleshoot the problem? My hunch is something left-over from an earlier installation ended up in the AppData\Local\Zotero folder and/or Zotero Documents folder and is causing the screw-up but, if so, I don't know what to delete . . .
  • And if you close Zotero and delete addonStartup.json.lz4 and extensions* at the same time, the Word and LibreOffice plugins are still disabled at startup?

You can search the profile folder for "5.0.25.SA.5.0.96.3", the version number of the LO extension, which isn't correct for a 6.0 installation. The versions of the installed word processor plugins should include "6.0-beta.1", and you should be able to see the same version numbers by looking at the install.rdf files within the C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org and C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org folders. You can open those files in Notepad. (Don't open them in Zotero.)

You can always create a new profile and point it back to the original data directory (and then delete the new data directory to avoid confusion), but it really shouldn't be necessary, and it would be good to know what file, if any, is causing this.
  • The install.rdf lists the Word plugin correctly as version "5.0.19.SA.6.0-beta.1+c6d03753f" but the extensions.json file in the Profile folder lists version "5.0.25.SA.5.0.96.3." The extension folder is missing entirely.
    OK, and if you delete extensions.json with Zotero closed? Does anything else in the directory include "5.0.25.SA.5.0.96.3"?
  • Yes, prefs.js lists user_pref("extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.version", "5.0.19.SA.5.0.95.1").
  • That wouldn't matter. But if you delete extensions.json with Zotero closed and nothing else contains "5.0.25.SA.5.0.96.3", it shouldn't be possible for that version to reappear.
  • Affirmative - deleting the existing extensions.json, restarting Zotero and installing the Word plugin via the Preferences corrected the problem.

But I'm still not able to install any of the extension plugins currently listed on the Zotero website via the Tools → Add-Ons window. No error report is generated, the import simply doesn't execute. What could break that function ?