Retrieve missing/wrong metadata info based on DOI

This discussion was created from comments split from: DOI, metadata.
  • Slightly different usecase here:

Imagine one has an entry with not puplicly available PDF attached and some metadata filled in.
    Some info is missing or wrong but there is a DOI.
    It would be great to just retrieve the missing/wrong metadata info info based on DOI.
    Instead, it seems to me, the most efficient method now is to create another enrty using "Add Item by Identifier" function and re-attach PDF to it.
    If it used to have a unique metadata fields filled, e.g. "Citation key: " in Extra, those have to be manually re-typed.

To conclude: After migrating from Mendeley, I personally often need a feature to repopulate existing metadata in an existing entry using DOI. Probably this funcionality exists but I'm just missing it :)
  • Metadata updating is planned, but for now the easiest way to do this is just to use Add Item by Identifier and then select the two items and merge them.
  • Hi @dstillman ! I was wondering if this feature has been updated since the originally post above a couple of years ago. I have the same question. For example, I added a paper just now, using the usual recommended method of using the browser plug-in/extension, and I did it from the publisher's website. The PDF was imported fine, but some of the metadata is missing. The DOI is available and was imported, though...and I can see on the webpage that the metadata that's missing WAS on the webpage, so I'm not sure why it didn't get imported. It's really cumbersome to have to manually edit this info; is there a better way now of fixing the metadata for entries that include their DOI than having to add separately by DOI and trying to merge them? I checked the documentation but wasn't easily able to find an answer. Hopefully I just missed how to do it? Thanks in advance.
  • Nothing new, sorry. If you point us to the URL, we can see if we can improve import from there