Zotero does not run under macOS 12.3beta

I just updated my Macbook Pro to macOS 12.3beta(21E5206e). Zotero does not run under the beta OS. I tried Zotero beta and tried to reinstall the app but it still does not run. I did not back up my system, so how can I deal with this situation
  • edited February 9, 2022
    It runs on 12.3 in general, so you'd have to say more. What exactly is happening? Have you tried restarting your computer?
  • I clicked the icon of Zotero but nothing happens and the app does not work. I have tried to restart my Mac but still failed.
  • Sorry, but you really need to say more. By "icon of Zotero", do you mean the Dock icon? Have you tried double-clicking the app directly from Applications? Does the Dock icon bounce? Does any window appear?

Have you tried completely deleting Zotero from Applications and reinstalling it from the Zotero beta page?

If you're still having trouble, we'd want either a Debug ID or emailed debug output after starting from Terminal:

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#reporting_startup_errors
  • I have the same problem.
  • I have the same problem. It runs ok in 12.3 beta1, but i can not open it after update 12.3 beta2
  • I clicked from the dock and from the launchpad, and I tried to completely deleted zotero and installed a beta version. The dock icon bounced but zotero did not work and no window appeared.
  • We'd need debug output as explained above to help further.
  • Victor-Hu:~ Victor$ /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/zotero -ZoteroDebug
    XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/XUL:
    dlopen(/Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/XUL, 0x0109): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/llvm@6/lib/libc++.1.dylib
    Referenced from: /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/XUL
    Reason: tried: '/usr/local/opt/llvm@6/lib/libc++.1.dylib' (no such file)
    Couldn't load XPCOM.
    Victor-Hu:~ Victor$

The above is the debug information.
    That looks like a broken Homebrew installation, causing Zotero to try to load a missing library from /usr/local/opt. Uninstall or reinstall llvm@6 via Homebrew and try again.
  • Thanks but how to reinstall llvm@6 via Homebrew?
    Is Homebrew something you've used? It's an advanced development tool — if you haven't heard of it, you're probably not actually using it.

It's possible this was actually a change in 12.3 beta 2, and Zotero was working on my system because of a Homebrew-provided library that no longer exists in 12.3 beta 2.

We'll investigate.
    I'm having the same problem. I tried installing llvm by `brew install llvm` but zotero printed out the same error message again.
  • This should be fixed in the latest Zotero beta. Thanks for reporting.

(This fix will be included in the upcoming Zotero 6.0. We may push another 5.0 release with this fix as well, though probably not immediately — anyone running a beta OS can install a beta app.)

@victorjhu, @yx1100, @anxian, @miracle_xyz
  • The latest beta works perfectly for me. Thanks!!
  • The same to me. Thanks so much !
  • zotfile and better-bibtex still work. That's fine.
  • Worked on the first beta but I've installed the second beta of macOS12.3 and simply won't load. Would appreciate any feedback. Many thanks.
  • edited February 10, 2022
    @Mohammad_r_ali: This was already fixed, as noted above. You just need the latest Zotero beta.
  • Amazing. Thank you. Sorry, I had a content blocker that prevented me from seeing the above messages. Thanks again for the quick response.
  • I have the same problem after installing macOS 12.3. I click Zotero and nothing happens
  • @BenjaminStorm: Again, this is already fixed. You need to download the latest beta.
  • edited February 12, 2022
    For people running the macOS beta with the non-beta version of Zotero, we've just pushed version 5.0.96.4 that fixes this. You can install it from the download page.
  • edited February 15, 2022
    @dstillman I am running Jurism, but it hasn’t been updated since 5.0.93. Does that mean updating to macOS 12.3 will break Jurism? (Assuming the beta 2 issue will still exist in the final version of macOS 12.3.)
  • edited February 16, 2022
    @DutchJurismUser: If 12.3 doesn't revert the change [and Beta 3 does not], then yes. @fbennett would have to push out a new build.

(It's a trivial change and not dependent on the rest of Zotero code: just a tiny change to the build script and running ./fetch_xulrunner.sh again after deleting the MacOS ZIP from the 'xulrunner' folder.)
  • Hi guys!
    Does Zotero 6.0 Beta 1 still work on macOS 12.3 Beta 3?
    Thanks in advance!
  • edited February 22, 2022
    @YohannCrn: Yes. This issue is fixed in Zotero.
  • @dstillman ok thank you very much for the answer!
This discussion has been closed.