Best solution for my multiple pc problem

Hello guys,

I am a Ph.D. student in natural sciences.

Basically, I have 3 devices I read the papers actively. I have my own laptop and desktop pc in my home and another desktop in my workplace. I have currently used free 300 MB space to sync my papers throughout these 3 devices. However, I think that free storage will not be enough for me in the near future. I've found that we can use another cloud to store our papers instead of the Zotero cloud.

The problem is that we are not allowed to use any cloud software (including google drive, outlook, etc.) in my workplace due to the company's privacy policy. In this case, I can't install any cloud software on the desktop pc in my workplace.

My question is if I use Zotero especially taking notes on the papers online in my workplace and use the desktop software on my personal devices, does Zotero still sync. the papers among these 3 devices?

I hope, I explain the problem clearly. Sorry about my English level by the way.

Regards.
  • If you don’t want to sync attachment files (PDFs), you can disable that in Zotero’s Sync settings. Then you can just sync the item data and citation information.
  • I've found that we can use another cloud to store our papers instead of the Zotero cloud.

The problem is that we are not allowed to use any cloud software (including google drive, outlook, etc.) in my workplace due to the company's privacy policy.
    Those are contradictory statements. What exactly is permitted for you in terms of cloud storage?
  • edited January 21, 2022
    @bwiernik

Thank you for your response. Sometimes, I have started reading a paper and taking notes on it and then might stop reading due to the workload in my workplace. After I come back home, I continue reading where I stop with my current annotations. This is why I use Zotero so I am happy with sync attachments opportunity throughout my 3 devices.

Secondly, in the first sentence, I meant I figure out how to use another cloud storage in Zotero not talking about my workplace and company. In the second, I exactly talked about my problem which I will be able to sync the attachments between my personal devices while I will not be able and be allowed to do it by using the pc in my workplace due to the privacy policy. Any suggestion to solve that issue?

Regards.
  • edited January 22, 2022
    If you don't want to use Zotero sync (which really is incredibly convenient if you can afford the 2 or 5$/month), look at webDAV which doesn't require anything installed locally
    https://www.zotero.org/support/sync#webdav