Adding original date for SBL2 full note style

I see that Chicago 17 full note style has added an extras option to include original date and original publisher. https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/edd45b7e5f61f54b109f7e39215ba2008aa997c6

Is it possible to do the same for SBL style? I have tried using the visual editor but no luck so far.
Thanks,

The SBL Handbook gives the following information for citing reprint editions:

6.2.17 Reprint of a Recent Title

5. John Van Seters, In Search of History: Historiography in the Ancient World and the Origins of Biblical History (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1983; repr., Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1997), 35.

Van Seters, John. In Search of History: Historiography in the Ancient World and the Origins of Biblical History. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1983. Repr., Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1997.

6.2.18 Reprint of a Title in the Public Domain

See CMS §§4.19–21. When a work is in the public domain, one may omit all except the most relevant information (in the following instance, the translator and original publication date) and supply information about the source from which the book is now available.

5. Gustav Adolf Deissmann, Light from the Ancient East: The New Testament Illustrated by Recently Discovered Texts of the Graeco-Roman World (trans. Lionel R. M. Strachan; 1927; repr., Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1995), 55.

Deissmann, Gustav Adolf. Light from the Ancient East: The New Testament Illustrated by Recently Discovered Texts of the Graeco-Roman World. Translated by Lionel R. M. Strachan. 1927. Repr., Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1995.
  • I pushed a commit that fixes the issue with the reprint date. Not sure why it failed the test on github.
    Here is the output:
    Society of Biblical Literature 2nd edition (full note) reprint

David Benedict, Fifty Years Among the Baptists (1865; repr., Paris, Arkansas: Baptist Standard Bearer; 2001).
    Benedict, David. Fifty Years Among the Baptists. 1865. Repr., Paris, Arkansas: Baptist Standard Bearer, 2001.
  • (I commented on the PR)
  • One other issue is the placement of the placement of the "Medium: xyz" extra in SBL2. According to the style handbook it should be at the end after the publication date, but it currently puts it after the title. I have submitted a change for this as well.

Here is the relevant section of the SBL Handbook:

6.2.25 Electronic Book

Books available for download from a library or bookseller are generally available in two main formats: PDF e-books and editions for e-readers, such as Kindle, iPad, and Nook. If citing a PDF e-book that is identical in all respects to the print edition, it is not necessary to indicate the format consulted. However, because other electronic formats do not conform in all respects to the print edition, in those cases authors must indicate the format consulted. The indication of the format follows the publication information:

14. Henning Graf Reventlow, From the Old Testament to Origen. Vol. 1 of History of Biblical Interpretation, trans. Leo G. Perdue (Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009), Nook edition, ch. 1.3.

18. Reventlow, From the Old Testament to Origen, ch. 1.3.

Reventlow, Henning Graf. From the Old Testament to Origen. Volume 1 of History of Biblical Interpretation. Translated by Leo G. Perdue. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009. Nook edition
  • Here is the output with the two changes:

David Benedict, Fifty Years Among the Baptists (1865; repr., Paris, Arkansas: Baptist Standard Bearer; 2001)
    Charles G. Finney, The Original Memoirs of Charles G. Finney, ed. Richard A. G. Dupuis and Garth Rosell (Grand Rapids: Zondervan; 2002), Logos Bible Software edition.

Benedict, David. Fifty Years Among the Baptists. 1865. Repr., Paris, Arkansas: Baptist Standard Bearer, 2001.
    Finney, Charles G. The Original Memoirs of Charles G. Finney. Edited by Richard A. G. Dupuis and Garth Rosell. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2002. Logos Bible Software edition.
  • Changes has been pushed for adding reprint date.
    I will wait for further input on how to change the "medium" extra for electronic books per 6.2.25.

Also, SBL Handbook 6.1.6 recommends using DOI instead of URL if possible.
    I have completed a change that checks for DOI variable and prefers it over URL if present, but I will wait to push it after the other change is accepted.

Thanks for the input and help on this issue.
  • @dhacker29 Would you be able to explain what you did to indicate the original date, as in David Benedict, Fifty Years Among the Baptists (1865; repr., Paris, Arkansas: Baptist Standard Bearer; 2001)?

I'd also like to indicate the original date for some publications that appeared originally in one language before translation at a much later date. If you have any insights on that, I'd greatly appreciate them. Thanks!
  • original-date: 1865

in "Extra" is all you need
  • @adamsmith, I should have asked long ago! Thank you so much!

Is there another forum somewhere on functionality capabilities of the Extra slot?
  • Nevermind, @adamsmith. I found what I was looking for here (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/item_types_and_fields#citing_fields_from_extra).

What I'm now wondering is whether there's a possibility of citing the date of a first edition easily. I tried first-edition: date in the "Extra" field with no luck. If you've any insights on this, they'd be appreciated.