Problems communicating with Microsoft Word

Hi all, yesterday unfortunately in the middle of work an error message came up, although Zotero was working fine before.
The whole thing started when I tried to paste a source into Word and then Zotero stopped and didn't respond.
Since then, the bibliography at the end of the document has also disappeared and can no longer be inserted. Then an error message comes up.
I've really tried everything since then to solve the problem.
- deleted the last sources I had added
- deleted half of the document and saw if it worked then (No, it didn't)
- restarted Zotero
- restarted Word
- accessed an older version in the version history that was saved before the error and tried to continue working with it (didn't work either)

Unfortunately it still doesn't work and every time I try to insert a source the program crashes and stops responding.

I use the Mac operating system and work in Word for Mac. I have installed the latest update of Zotero.
I am really desperate because I don't know where the error is and I am grateful for any help.

As there is no window with an Report ID popping up, I don't know the Report ID.

Best regards,

Jessica
  • We'll need you to clarify a few things.
    I tried to paste a source into Word and then Zotero stopped and didn't respond.
    Unfortunately it still doesn't work and every time I try to insert a source the program crashes and stops responding.
    Copying and pasting in Word certainly didn't cause Zotero to freeze, so what exactly happened? Does Zotero freeze when you try to insert the citation/refresh the document? Does Word freeze? Do you have to close one or both applications?

You need to manually generate a Report ID, you should do it after encountering an error in Word when using Zotero.

Does Zotero work well in a new document? Have you tried restarting your computer? What full version of macOS and Word are you running?