iOS Apple Pencil misrecognitions and corrections

Hey folks,

In a workflow where I am using the handwriting-to-digital text function built into the OS, there’s an issue when a word gets misrecognised, where selecting the correct word does replace the misrecognised word.

For instance, word “authors” often gets recognised as “wuthers” or “withers”. There is always a blue squiggly line under and selecting the misrecognised word shows the correct word “authors”. However clicking the correct word does not replace the misrecognised word.

Not sure if this bug is on your list but it’s been a consistent issue for the last 6 months.
  • Hi @zeeraktalat,

where exactly are you using this feature in the iOS app? Do you copy that recognised text to a note or somewhere else? I'd like to test this and see what's going on.
  • edited December 6, 2021
    Hi @michalrentka,

Of course, should have included a reproduction guide.

1. Create an annotation of some text
    2. Open a note for the highlight
    3. Handwrite your text, including a misrecognition
    4. Select the misrecognised word and try to replace with one of the suggested replacements.

The issue also occurs if you just create a note and try to handwrite into it.
  • I'm wondering if there's been any movement on this? My experience with using the pen is that the functionality of it has significantly degraded over the past few months of using the beta while other apps (including Apple's notes app) has remained the same (and at all times much better than in Zotero).

The degradation in Zotero has been that there are increasingly more misrecognitions, highlighting a word to replace often doesn't work - the correction is treated as a new word that is appended to the sentence rather than in-sentence replacement, and of course the persisting issue that misrecognitions can't be replaced, even though the (correct) replacement word is there in the suggested replacements.