Insert citation is taking hours.

edited December 5, 2021
I know there are other posts about slowness but my situation seems unusually severe.

Using 5.0.97-beta.57+07df7d0de and
LibreOffice writer Version: 7.0.6.2 Build ID: 00(Build:2)
on Linux Mint pc: 32GB RAM
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.4; UI: en-US

There are over 1,000 citations in the document (mostly in footnotes) and several thousand items in my Zotero library.

I am trying to insert a Chicago note citation in footnote 535 (of 725).

The dialog "Quick format Citation" keeps scrolling - currently for over 3hrs.

Yesterday I made the mistake of clicking "Refresh" and Zotero appeared to be doing so, but this morning it seemed to be still working (about 12 hours later). Right-clicking on LibreOffice icon gave the "not responding" message, so I closed and recovered it. Now the citation is taking forever.

LibreOffice is using approx. 4GB RAM and 12% CPU; Zotero: 2.3GB RAM, 0% CPU.

Do I need to wait and see what happens for another few hours, or is there some process that I can terminate?

Well - I interrupted the process by inserting another citation. All seems to be normal again. The original citation was inserted OK :-)

• You should update LibreOffice and Java to start with. LibreOffice on Linux is one of the fastest integrations even with huge documents, so what you're seeing is not normal. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes at most even with that many citations.
  • I am using
    openjdk 16.0.1 2021-04-20
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment AdoptOpenJDK-16.0.1+9 (build 16.0.1+9)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM AdoptOpenJDK-16.0.1+9 (build 16.0.1+9, mixed mode, sharing)
    and
    Just now updated to
    Version: 7.1.8.1 / LibreOffice Community
    Build ID: e1f30c802c3269a1d052614453f260e49458c82c

I will let you know if the problem occurs again. It has been occurring on and off but I think it's just a glitch in the dialog not closing when it has actually done its thing.
    Thanks.
  • There definitely isn't a bug in the progress window closing if the word processor reports the operation has finalized, so it would be LibreOffice not sending through a completion message to Zotero. Since this isn't a general problem that we have ever observed with the LibreOffice plugin and we haven't made any changes to it in a long while it's most likely something getting stuck in LibreOffice or with Java, especially if you see LibreOffice being frozen when something like this happens.
  • Yes. Seems to be a LibreOffice issue. Happy New Year!