Where to find the notes formatting syntax?

I just realized that Zotero notes supported markdown-like formatting syntax (not sure if it’s specific to the beta which I’m using or not).

I’ve searched for the precise description of what is supported exactly (titles, code blocks, etc.) but couldn’t find anything in the documentation or on the forum.

Is the syntax described somewhere?
  • It's only beta and I think it's pretty standard md, so you can just look at that. I'm not sure about some of the "flavors", so when in doubt test but 95% of md is universal
  • Ok. Actually I mostly wondered for:

- code blocks/monospace — usually it’s "```something```" but if you type that it translates to "```omething```" (first character gets eaten and "`" doesn’t disappear)

- color highlighting — this isn’t standard md so I wondered it there was a syntax attached to it?
  • You can just use ` or ``` for monospace/code but need to use soft linebreaks (shift+return) to stay in a codeblock.

FWIW, I would expect this to get documented for the final version 6, but I'm not even sure it's completely finalized.
  • Okay no problem. But in the meantime, there still seems to be a bug with monospace code written on one single line, it doesn’t render correctly. Typing `hello` does not result in the word "hello" written in monospace.

It’s still mostly usable though.
  • @alexcr87 Here is the list of supported keyboard shortcuts and Markdown input rules.

Could you make a video demonstrating the issue with `something`, as I can't reproduce it.
  • @martynas_b while doing the video, it just occurred to me that I was on a dvorak keyboard layout — actually the french version (called "bepo"). The "`" character requires pressing OPTION-T then [space], so it’s a combination of two keystrokes. I have made a video here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LmqQq38NkeEUFn5qIjdWDB_MBWWRqsVm/view?usp=sharing

However, switching back to the Canadian standard keyboard leads to the correct behavior (no formatting error). So the problem seems specific to users with a keyboard layout requiring two keystrokes for the "`" character. Binding that character to a one-keystroke combination with BetterTouchTools fixes the problem, even on the BEPO layout.

I’ve had problems previously because of my keyboard layout in Zotero — e.g. the numbers on BEPO require the SHIFT keypress, and Zotero no longer recognizes numbers (for e.g. assigning tags).

Thanks for the reference about the MD input rules!
  • The "```something```" syntax doesn't make code blocks in zotero notes as of 6.0.4. Does anyone know the proper syntax for this?
  • @ggavelis: Both ` and ``` work, but as adamsmith says above, for multi-line blocks you have to use Shift-Enter to stay in the code block. We'll try to improve this in a future version.
  • If you want a code block, you should pick "Monospace" from the formatting popup in the toolbar. ` is for inline code. We could consider making ``` creating a code block.