Hyphenated Words are Capitalized on Both Parts

There are cases where hyphenated words when captialized both parts are capitalized ("resource-limited" -> "Resource-Limited") but there are also words that only the first part should be capitalized ("pre-training" -> "Pre-training"). It seems that currently Zotero (v5.0.96.3) will go for the first option, i.e. capitalizing both. I am wondering if there is any option to prevent a hyphenated from being capitalized both parts and only capitalize the first? Thanks!
  • In general, English capitalization rules always call for capitalization of all parts of hyphenated words.

I believe that if you insert a “non-breaking hyphen” character, no capitalization will occur after it.
  • No, that's not right e.g. for Chicago, which we generally follow for title case (8.161):
    2. Capitalize any subsequent elements unless they are articles, prepositions, coordinating conjunctions (and, but, for, or, nor), or such modifiers as flat or sharp following musical key symbols.
    3. If the first element is merely a prefix or combining form that could not stand by itself as a word (anti, pre, etc.), do not capitalize the second element unless it is a proper noun or proper adjective.
  • edited November 16, 2021
    I've googled around and it seems that the only workaround is to use "<span class="nocase">" (in this case make it "pre-<span class="nocase">training</>") but it makes the title look like a mess and causes the search not being able to find the article.
  • Did you try a non-breaking hyphen character?
  • @bwiernik Oh yeah I just tried the non-breaking hyphen solution. It worked for me. Thanks!